Can you use a 3 phase on/off switch with single phase power?

GH, what is the HP of your single phase replacement motor? Your NEMA size 00 starter is only rated for up to 1 HP on 240V. Assuming you are ok there, you may have to install different heater coils to match the full load amp rating of your motor. The E48 coils on your starter are rated for 5.62 to 5.91 FLA. http://www.southlandelectrical.com/FurnasHeaterChart.asp If you need new heaters, Southland Electric can provide them for you.

Greg

GH, you are correct in that the power should go through the controls and not directly to the motor. Study the connection diagram on the motor and remove all of the wiring coming out of the junction box. Connect a pair of wires, plus ground, in the configuration that works for your intended voltage and direction of rotation. Connect those wires to the output of the contactor. All other wiring relates to running the power into the contactor and the control circuits, which should match the diagram Tony posted.

Wade8A, thanks for the link. I'm setting up a Furnas size 0 to control the new single-phase motor in my 'new' mill. Your link tells me I need E61 heaters for my 16 amp motor.

Thanks to this post I got brave and my mag switch now works on single phase. I am not concerned about the heater section since my VFD provides motor protection.

Back