Can you turn down a End Mill?

Maglin

Active User
Registered
I'm debating on buying some 2x6" and 2.5x8" end mills to turn down to make tool holders for my mill on my lathe. These are mostly HSS cutters with a few carbide one's that I'm definitely going to try to stay away from. Being that they are only $2.5/lb for these it seems even cheaper than buying O-1 or A-2 tool steel to use for this purpose. I think the saddest thing about doing this is ruining a brand new expensive cutter for this but that is what I have available for on the cheap. I would be using carbide insert tooling for the cutting ops and Cobalt drill bits and HSS reamers for the tool holding end.

I'm just wanting to make sure it's something that I might be able to accomplish and see if anyone else has tried turning HSS on a lathe. I'm more worried about the reamer's. If it is going to ruin my reamers then the cost savings would just go right out the window and probably end up costing me more money in the long run. I'm also going to get a Sandvik 3/4" shank drop carbide tool for the lathe to replace my current one that has the insert to tall for my current center height. I happen to have a lot of Sandvik CNMG inserts for these and thought the 1/2" TMX tool holder from www.latheinserts.com used the same size but they are smaller.

I might just buy a few of these end mills along with some USA Reamers also for the same place to see how it goes. The reamers are also $2.50/lb and brand new so if it doesn't work out I'm not out much and it would be a learning lesson. BTW this is all coming from Boeing Surplus and thus why it's so cheap and new tooling. I need to pick up some more aluminum for some projects so I was thinking of trying this little project. If anyone here is in Wichita I would recommend you check out the place if you have never been. Super cheap stock if you have a bandsaw with the capacity to cut it down. Aluminum is usually 2024-T856 and 7075 for 1.75/lb. Can't beat those prices. They are open on Wednesdays from 10-5pm.

The short answer is no. Yes, only if you want to get into exotic tooling, or anneal and re heat treat. I'll let others expound.

ty for the advise. I'll not waste my money. It's just so cheap at strong I was thinking it would be nice.

A high speed steel end mill is about 65 rockwell on the C scale. You'll spend more money turning them down than you would if you bought steel and started ftom scratch.

Turning would be the easy part of the ordeal. Drilling , reaming, and tapping....not so much.

Back