[Antique] Can You Help Me Identify This Power Hacksaw From Pics?

Clamdigger

Registered
Registered
I just bought this old Peerless power hacksaw off of Craigslist Albany but I haven't even gone to get it yet. I originally thought it was a Peerless 7x7 "Mechani-Cut", but now believe it's a similar but different 6x6 model. It's pretty small and compact as these things go.

Can anyone tell me what model of Peerless it is from just looking at my pictures? Does anyone know approx. what it weighs? (I'll probably have to pull the thing home - a considerable distance - behind a Honda SUV... so it can't weigh too much!)

02 (7x7 Mechani-Cut).jpg

01 (7x7 Mechani-Cut).jpg

This is my first post here, so I apologize if digging deeper through the threads would have given me the answer!

i'd venture to guess that it may weigh between 400- 500 lbs
sorry i can't be of much help in identification
you may wish to take a look at vintagemachinery.org they may have a peerless section with some other models to compare
best of luck
mike:)

Hey Clamdigger,

Welcome to the site!

That looks like a nice compact saw.
There are a few manuals with pictures here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/peerless.966/
perhaps they can help with your identification.

Please let us know what you find out, and please post back with more pictures when you get it!

-brino

Thanks for the literature links. Nothing quite like my saw in there, but informative nevertheless.

That compactness you mention was the main thing that attracted me to this machine... That & Peerless' reputation for excellence. The fact that this saw's evidently been well taken care of, in the years it's served a light manufacturing operation in Troy, NY, inspired confidence too. Photos of the former owner's plant show it to be as clean and well ordered as the laboratories I've worked in, which is really impressive to me.

I've sent my two photos to Peerless, incidentally, in the hope they can tell me something. If I hear back from them I'll pass on whatever they say. And more pictures, eventually.

i'd venture to guess that it may weigh between 400- 500 lbs
sorry i can't be of much help in identification
you may wish to take a look at vintagemachinery.org they may have a peerless section with some other models to compare
best of luck
mike:)

Your estimate of the weight matches my own, but sometimes I can be way off... Ever try to guess the weight of one of those compact old metal shapers?!! (Another vintage machine I especially love.) This Peerless appears to sport a vintage - maybe even original - motor, and it's one of those chunky cast iron jobs from mid-century! 2 HP, 3 phase... which should go on my shop's 7½ HP RPC with no sweat. (I've read that modern VFDs can overpower the insulation in old motors, so I stick with the older, "tried & true" RPC approach!)

here is something i learned that may be helpful to someone later on...
a piece of steel or iron 1" thick and 12" square will weigh roughly 40 lbs.
therefore, steel/iron weighs right about 40 lbs per square foot.
i visualize how many square feet are present and make an estimate from the mass

Your estimate of the weight matches my own, but sometimes I can be way off... Ever try to guess the weight of one of those compact old metal shapers?!! (Another vintage machine I especially love.) This Peerless appears to sport a vintage - maybe even original - motor, and it's one of those chunky cast iron jobs from mid-century! 2 HP, 3 phase... which should go on my shop's 7½ HP RPC with no sweat. (I've read that modern VFDs can overpower the insulation in old motors, so I stick with the older, "tried & true" RPC approach!)

all i know is that they use a lot of iron in the old shapers, they litterally weigh tons!
i too have an affinity for shapers, i have yet to gain one. :(

RPC's are very effective means of delivering 3 phases, no doubt.
i utilize both RPC's and VFD's for old and new motors.
a common misconception is that VFD's are bad for old motors.
this simply is not true. if you run an old motor at 60 hz, it could care less how it is being supplied the 60hz. the same is true for a new motor.

what you will have problems with is when you tweak the frequency of the power being delivered to the motor out of it's happy zone
generally you can safely operate between 40 and 80 hz on most 3 phase motors without serious complications.
the problem most encounter is with heat build up from a fan that is insufficiently cooling the motor due to low speeds below 30hz
if you overspeed above 90hz the motor cooling also looses efficiency through overexcited windings and a fan that is too small to compensate

I have the exact same saw. However, yours appears to be in better condition.
IMG_0587.JPG
I've never found any lit for her.
While mine articulates. It is stiff and the adjustments are buggered.
I need to tear her down and diagnosis.
Haven't actually used her yet: Another project.
If you are missing parts I'll be happy to measure and draw. Would you be willing to do similar?

Daryl
MN

I have the exact same saw. However, yours appears to be in better condition.
View attachment 137256
I've never found any lit for her.
While mine articulates. It is stiff and the adjustments are buggered.
I need to tear her down and diagnosis.
Haven't actually used her yet: Another project.
If you are missing parts I'll be happy to measure and draw. Would you be willing to do similar?

Daryl
MN
Your comment /question is the reason this website is sooo good. Plus that saw is awsome!

IMG_0589.JPG
This is how I got her off.
No idea how much she weighs.
Engine hoist fully extended.
To heavy to lift with legs and back.
No problem for the hoist, although it was interesting finding appropriate balance and lift points.
(Photo is a couple years old).

Daryl
MN

Back