Can This Yaskawa Vfd Be Used For Single Phase?

Techie1961

Registered
Registered
I have a Yaskawa VFD that I would like to connect to my lathe and make it variable speed. I'll have to replace the motor as well since it's 575V. I heard someone say that the 3P drives can be used but will obviously have a higher draw. It's a European model but exactly the same as the USA model which would be a CIMR-JU...
24207539822_48737ce2a3_c.jpg

Not sure what the question is, this is a 3 Phase 200-240V in 3 phase 220-240V variable speed out. If you are asking if it can be run on single phase, I have seen this with Yaskawa 3 phase drives which are derated, but no mention of this in the drive manual. You would need to check with the manufacturer for this drive, as it is considered their mini VFD drive.

Not sure what the question is, this is a 3 Phase 200-240V in 3 phase 220-240V variable speed out. If you are asking if it can be run on single phase, I have seen this with Yaskawa 3 phase drives which are derated, but no mention of this in the drive manual. You would need to check with the manufacturer for this drive, as it is considered their mini VFD drive.
Sorry about that, I thought something was missing when I posted that. Haha. As you have surmised, I would like to use it on a single phase connection. I have it connected via 575 volts through a rotary phase converter and step up transformer but variable speed would be nice. I just so happen to have this VFD sitting here and hoped that I could use it. The VFD is rated for 4HP and the lathe is 3HP. Unfortunately when derating the VFD for single phase, I might only have about 2HP available.

So my thoughts are that if it is derated to 2HP and I put in a 2HP motor, will I find that it is too small for general use. I don't do much heavy cutting on the lathe and maybe 3HP was ambitious and 2HP is adequate. Or I could put in a 3HP motor and the occasional time that I do run it at capacity, the drive will just kick out and I then know I've gone to far. I have a bit of experience with VFDs but none with changing their intended usage.

Hi
"I'll have to replace the motor as well since it's 575V."
why is the motor 575v ????? 110v or 240v or 440v
jeff

Hi
"I'll have to replace the motor as well since it's 575V."
why is the motor 575v ????? 110v or 240v or 440v
jeff
We don't have 440v in Canada. It's 230v or 575/600v. I don't know the "official" voltages here exactly but those are close.

Why does it de-rate on single phase ? I think if it's single/three phase compatible it will have the same wattage draw as the total on 3 phase, unless the terminals can't handle the power but that would seem an odd thing.

Anything I've had that's been 1 or 3 phase hasn't had a limit due to single phasing. Unless the manual says specifically to de-rate I would think it wouldn't be any different.

Well it's always good to look at the manual as I sit hear being totally wrong. :)

200v class three phase input 0.1 to 5.5kw
200v class single phase input 0.1 to 2.2kw

https://www.yaskawa.com/pycprd/download/search/detail?n=SIEPC71060631

It seem odd that the single phase input ones have 3 phase terminals with a don't connect to this terminal note in the manual.
my VFD's say connect to any two of the three terminals.

Might be worth a call to their tech dept. for some clarification

Stuart

The derating on single phase is often due to the.increased ripple current in the bus (400 or 700v) capacitors that supply the oomph, on 3-phase each phase in turn charges them so there's only one third as long for the capacitors to support the output, capacitor voltages don't sag as much, reduced ripple current so capacitors live longer. I run a 415v VFD from 240 single-phase, using a voltage doubler on the bus capacitors, possibly the worst-case, and when the caps give out I'll replace 'em...

Dave H. (the other one)

The attached posting gives some perspective on derating three phase Yaskawa drives for single phase input. But as mentioned this applies to other models that may be a bit more heavy duty. The derating does vary by manufacturer and model, I have usually seen something around a 1.6-1.7 derating factor.

If you have an RPC, why not just run the VFD on 3 phase off of your RPC and get the full VFD rating? Otherwise if using single phase, they recommend a DC line choke, and I do not know if your model can be fitted with one, let alone the cost. At the end of the day, it may be more worthwhile to sell your VFD, and buy a decent single phase sensorless vector VFD 3Hp drive (the Yaskawa model you have does not have sensorless vector ability, which can give more low end grunt on a lathe). Probably come out pretty even on the cost in the end.

Attachments

• Yaskawa Vfd derating 3 phase to single phase.pdf
    260.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The attached posting gives some perspective on derating three phase Yaskawa drives for single phase input. But as mentioned this applies to other models that may be a bit more heavy duty. The derating does vary by manufacturer and model, I have usually seen something around a 1.6-1.7 derating factor.

If you have an RPC, why not just run the VFD on 3 phase off of your RPC and get the full VFD rating? Otherwise if using single phase, they recommend a DC line choke, and I do not know if your model can be fitted with one, let alone the cost. At the end of the day, it may be more worthwhile to sell your VFD, and buy a decent single phase sensorless vector VFD 3Hp drive (the Yaskawa model you have does not have sensorless vector ability, which can give more low end grunt on a lathe). Probably come out pretty even on the cost in the end.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had a look at the attached PDF and some of it was clear but I am not an electrician so some wasn't. I will have to read up on it.

I am hoping to remove the RPC from the lathe. It is in the garage portion of my shop and due to the high amperage even at idle, I power it only when I am using the lathe. I have a remote switch so that I can power it up from the shop but haven't done that yet. I am also a bit reluctant to use the RPC with the VFD since I have had some issues with doing this at a customer's location. We installed a pressing machine (dry-cleaning industry) and the VFD didn't like the RPC at all, and faulted no matter what we did. The manufacturer had to send us a single phase version from Italy to get it working. Maybe the Yaskawa would fair better than the ones that they are using.

Any opinions on this?

This is the motor that is currently on the lathe. I can't find a thing online about it.
24217123832_c72573c699_c.jpg

One thing that I am curious about that maybe one of you can answer. When the motor is controlled by a VFD, does the speed on the lathe need to be set for the highest at the gearbox and then the motor controls down from there? This would seem to run it very slow for lower RPMs at the spindle. I am thinking that I would have to still change through a couple of ranges?

Back