Can This Motor Rotation Be Reversed?

Is it incorrect now, or are trying to change it to cut on the pull stroke, ala Stefan Gotteswinter? Or perhaps both?
Great channel, by the way...

Bob Korves,
Appropriate question.
It's my intent to cut on the push stroke as that is supposedly how it was designed.
The pull stroke shapers presumably have advantages but require a different grind and I'm guessing a different clapper.
As it will need to lift on the opposite side of the stroke.

Daryl
MN

It's my understanding that there might also be some changes in ram design.
But, I'm not clear on why that would be necessary.

Daryl
MN

Daryl
MN
the ram would stay the same, the motion is the same regardless of push or pull
the clapper box is all that Stefan Gottswinter changes out to make his GACK20 go from push to pull cutting
on the gack20 it's a simple operation
Here is a link to plans
http://gtwr.de/ressources/res_gack_rueckwaertshobelkopf/index.html

i'm sure you could make a similar unit for your uses

Last edited:

Daryl
MN
On some shapers some parts of the linkage may be designed to support more force when cutting then when returning. The table might also not be as stiff when the machine is operated in the opposite direction to the one it was designed for.

rams and mechanisms tend to deflect more become weaker the farther they are extended,
when you are pulling, the forces are directed to the machine and to the greatest support of the ram.
when pushing, deflection increases as the ram extends
wear will exaggerate the condition

They are designed to cut on the forward stroke, and the return stroke is faster simply because it should be, it's time wasted not cutting, and because the mechanism allows for it. In fact it necessitates it.

Back