[Newbie] Can someone tell me what machine this is?

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Hey all. My buddy gave me an unknown craftsman lathe thats missing some parts and was in need of some cleaning/restoring. After much searching I thought it was an Atlas 618 model and found the instruction booklet online for that lathe, but once I started examining closely its not the same, close, but not the same. The bed bolts down in different locations than the 618 does, at least from what the manual shows. I really want to take it apart and clean and repaint everything but I really would like to have the manual/parts list as a guide. Heres some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :))

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG

That looks like the 6" craftsman branded Atlas ....there was an old version with oilite bearings and one with timkin bearings ...I don't doubt that there were changes over the years ......is there a 101.xxx or 103.xxx number plate somewhere (and that doesn't mean it 's on the lathe) ...I forget the designation they used ...but that number will get you the correct manual, They are a decent small lathe. Anyway it's a pretty simple lathe and there are some people on this site that know them well ....I'm sure you will hear from them

You might get more responses by posting this in the Atlas section.

That looks like the 6" craftsman branded Atlas ....there was an old version with oilite bearings and one with timkin bearings ...I don't doubt that there were changes over the years ......is there a 101.xxx or 103.xxx number plate somewhere (and that doesn't mean it 's on the lathe) ...I forget the designation they used ...but that number will get you the correct manual, They are a decent small lathe. Anyway it's a pretty simple lathe and there are some people on this site that know them well ....I'm sure you will hear from them

Believe it or not the only badge on this thing is the craftsman badge. Ive looked everywhere....I think. Thanks for the reply!

You might get more responses by posting this in the Atlas section.

I will try that thank you!

i had a 1950" 10" Atlas TH42 that had the same color scheme as far as the beige paint.
if you were to look on the opposite end from the headstock, there may be a badge with the model and serial #
with that information you may be able to ascertain more information to share with us.
this link below may give more information for you:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/

i hope it helps out!
mike:))

i had a 1950" 10" Atlas TH42 that had the same color scheme as far as the beige paint.
if you were to look on the opposite end from the headstock, there may be a badge with the model and serial #
with that information you may be able to ascertain more information to share with us.
this link below may give more information for you:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/

i hope it helps out!
mike:))

I will have to check that out when I get home! Thanks Mike! That link is where I got the original manual that differs from my lathe.

You have a Model 101.21400 Craftsman lathe that was made by the Atlas Press Co.
There should be a plate at the right hand end of the bed with the model number and serial number.
Needless to say...Sears and Roebucks no longer carry parts for this machine.
You can find a manual and set up instructions here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/1924.pdf

I received one of these little lathes as a gift back in 1961, and it still works great. I don't use it often as I now have a South Bend and a Derbyshire Model A to keep me happy, but you can never have too many tools!

Keith

Back