Can I Rig up this Pump Motor for my mill?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I'm still trying to find a new motor for my mill to get it back to close to factory spec. I'm having trouble finding something with a long enough shaft for the 5-step pulley, face mount, but still in the under 5hp range. Now someone up in tucson has this motor on CL for cheap.

http://www.spapumpsandmore.com/Ultra_Jet_Pump_PUULS220258220G_1014224_p/puuls220258220g.htm

It's 2HP which fits the bill nicely, and has four holes for face mounting, but does anyone now how much, if any, shaft is left when you unplug the pump part? The pulley on my mill is at least 3.5" long and the motor sits on top of a 1/2-3/4" thick plate so I need a motor with a shaft at least 4" long.

thanks
Joe

Is this motor 2; 4 or 6 poles? You must take a look in the rpm specs.

Motors for pumps and fans sometimes have a different start load curve (Lbf in x rpm)

I don't see the motor anymore on CL, and the seller never responded to my email so I guess it's a moot point.

The mill I have is a Taiwan knockoff, 1980's vintage. Post #13 in this thread shows what I'm dealing with. It works as is, but it bugs me that it's not right. And that extra weight up top makes it a PIA to tilt the head by myself without it swinging down and crashing. And I've got a project that requires me to tilt the head of course.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/8288-Another-Mill-to-ID

Just for s..ts and grins I googled bridgeport replacement motor and ended up looking at a pic on fleabay where the mounting looks very similar, and the shaft was also extra long. It said the frame type was 184TY-somethingiforgotandcan'tfind now.

So I started googling that frame and found a few 184 but nothing with the ty-somethingiforgotandacan'tfindnow and certainly nothing with the extra long shaft.

I tried emailing some of the small motor repair shops up in Tucson and none of them bother to respond.

Joe

For future reference, the motor you had been considering was a two-speed motor and didn't seem to be set up for reversing. Depending on the mounting arrangement (shaft up or down), it may have been running backwards and could have been difficult to reverse. Check direction on future possibilities.

Thanks. I've got those links. I bought a vise from Joe - it was nice but rather slow on the shipping. It's hard to buy online without knowing the exact specs for what I'm replacing - it's hard to ask them for what I need though when the old one has no markings and I'm not paying $500 and freight for something that ends up not fitting.

I found another one listed today and it looks like almost exactly what I need (more power would be nice) but has no price and looks like the nearest is 3 hours north of me.

http://hqtinc.com/pn16001hpmotorwdrumswitch.aspx

I've got to run to the Tucson VA tomorrow and I'm going to throw the old assembly in the car and take it with me. I had the engine hoist on the shop porch so I went ahead and pulled it off today. The mill was serviced by Al's Machinery at one point in its life so I'm going to swing by there and see if he has anything laying around.

Joe

Back