can anyone identify this model?

Yes I do.. thnks for going to all that trouble. I'm away from the puter trying to type on the phone kinda sucks

time for a little update I guess... well I popped out the spindle so I could put on a new belt when it arrives and cleaned up the bull gear and a few other parts... the spindle bearing seems to be pressed to the spindle, I don't have a press so I was wondering if I should throw the whole deal in the solvent then regrease the bearing or just leave it as is with some new grease squeezed into it? the outside bearing is still in the bore it looks to be a sealed unit so I figure theres no point removing it? didn't take any pics

Some folks have had success washing the old grease out of the bearing and re-greasing. You have nothing to lose by trying, and it might save you buying a bearing. My experience with removing
the bearing was that it wasn't too difficult. The "nut" that held mine on was made with a hook spanner in mind. Logan suggested I get if off with a hammer and a punch. I held it in a vice with
a chuck of thick leather wrapped around the spindle, heated it up, and tapped it off. The bearing came off the spindle fairly easily. I pressed the new one on with a home made press of pipe and
all thread.

My old bearing was an original New Departure bearing with a seal on one side and open on the other. If yours is like that, you can hose it out with solvent.

the bearing has no issues at the moment seems to be in good shape that's why I was wondering if I should just leave it...or clean it and repack....any issue with cleaning and repacking while its still on the shaft?

I would clean and repack. You'll never get a better chance.

ok I'm going to throw it in the degreaser bucket and let it soak...shaft and all...managed to get the nut off but its pressed on pretty good and I don't have a press at the moment...I'll just clean it while it's on the shaft...

Last edited by a moderator:
a little update... cleaned those bearings and repacked with a grease needle as best I could get it in there... just got my half nuts back from rebuild there looking really good will try to install them today, new belt is on with the spindle back installed. doing a little painting on a few pieces that ive managed to blast the ugly green paint off of...also got my gib screws back in thanks to wa5cab for helping me with that it will be a slow process..

20170808_111135.jpg

Doing things correctly is never a speedy process (at least for me). You'll be glad you did it right.

well its been awhile since I posted progress, busy with other things and slowly picking away on the lathe. took the tailstock off and gave it a douche in the super clean....(great stuff removes oil and paint!) I see that I need a new tailstock lock handle and the stud underneath it as well as someone has killed it.... the quill moves fine and holds a #2 taper good but someone has done some hammering on it.... im wondering if I was to build up (tig) the hammer marks and then machine it round again? would that be something to think about? the bolt that goes thru the bed has been messed with as well it seems, and the nut is a 3/4 thread but the outside dimensions have been wittled to a 5/8 sized nut (its aluminum)??? heres some pics. not sure if the big nut on the back 20171106_114847.jpg20171106_114902(1).jpg, I tried it didn't move?20171106_145417.jpg20171106_145404.jpg20171106_114919.jpg

anyhow if anyones got any suggestions on that quill or knows of an available handle and stud bolt. that's where im at

20171106_145404(1).jpg

20171106_145417(1).jpg

Back