can anyone identify this model?

well I ordered up the manual...and the parts diagrams... downloaded and had them printed off at the office store ouch. not really a lot of info in there but its a start.. lots of the original sales ads included in there as filler material. I measured what I thought the belt should be by closing the turnbuckle adjuster all the way in and then measuring around the 2 pulleys and then opening the turnbuckle most of the way and measuring again... i came up with 35.5 to 39 inches i believe... now in the replacement parts there are 2 sizes avail from logan a 38 and a 39 both seem to be at the upper end of the scale for length?? i would think anything would stretch over time?? and as the belt gets bigger and u adjust for such your throw distance decreases on the belt tensioner..

The belt needs to be long enough so that you can de-tension it when you want to move to a different pulley. Leather belts do stretch significantly, synthetic stretch a little and you can adjust as required.

Last edited:
well the belt is ordered yesterdays mission was one change gear that was missing a few teeth...been many years since I pulled out the brazing rod.. but after I filled off the excess and wittled out the teeth it aint all that bad.... not perfect but this thing is 75 years old so this fix should outlast me... rest of the change gears are in good shape surprisingly enough... I also removed the gib screws from the cross feed and the compound, they had been mutilated over the years.. any idea where I could replace them? think I took 7 of them out. for some reason it looks like square heads were welded onto a few of them, but most were just studs with a slot for a flat screwdriver and I would think that would be the original equipment ones... tip of these were threadless where they hit the gib. any ideas? and no locking nuts? is that normal?

20170713_121744.jpg

heres the variety of screws and abominations that were used to hold the gib strip.... hope someone can come up with some options, maybe some pics of what should be there?

20170714_104652.jpg

They should be extended tip set screws (also called dog point) . All of the screws on my Logan were slotted extended tip set screws. Mine were in good condition so I reused them. If I was to replace them I would go with hex (allen) rather than slotted. If I remember correctly they were either 1/4-28 or 10-32 thread. They are available from McMaster Carr here in the US, not sure about Canada. Mine also have locking nuts (called jam nuts or thin nuts) also available from McMaster. The jam nuts don't appear in the manual so they may have been added later.

Extended tip set screws:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=18htqde

Jam nuts:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-jam-nuts/=18htvy8

Last edited:
You can also buy gib screws from Logan. They sell them without lock nuts: they come with nylon inserts in the screw.

I think that you will find (if you can find a source) that Allen, Bristol or Torx headless set screws will be less irritating to use than slotted. And that you will find that the nylon inssert or patch syle screws definitely have a finite service life. If you don't use the nylon insert type, you do need jam nuts.

ahh so your saying the nylon inserts don't last too long? I tottaly agree that slotted heads are the most irritating...there basicly technology that is long gone in my books... I would probly prefer allen or torx.. don't know what Bristol is? and a jam nut... anyhow Ill look into that McMaster link someone posted above and see how bad there shipping is... im scared to look at the prices of them on the logan site

Don't be afraid to look at your local hardware store as well. Probably cost a bit more, but the shipping is not there.

A lot of time I find myself buying onesies or twosies of something to decide what size I really want or if my idea is as good as I am imagining ... and then place a bulk order with a full line supplier.

Back