[How do I?] Cambam Questions

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Regarding my questions, found that multipass is covered by a Wizard within Mach3, however still don't know how to tell it to cut inside/outside/on centered on the line. CamBam allows selection of Inside/Outside but nothing about cutting centered on the line. Wonder if I have to offset drawing features to accommodate tool diameters before I generate G-code from a CAM program. Might not be too hard for simple stuff but seems like there has to be a better way. Will keep looking, who knows what I might find. Take care and keep us posted on progress, will do same.
Burt

In the CamBam Profile Operation setup area there is a option of Inside or Outside. This does not exist in the other Operation setups. To cut on the center line, choose the Engrave Operation, there is no tool offset other than cut width value. Another way to cut on the center line is to choose the Profile Operation and set the tool diameter to 0.001

CamBam will create a tool path based on the tool diameter that you input in the Profile and Pocket Operations, it is not necessary to offset the drawing. Make your drawing on size at a 1:1 scale.

Jim:
Thank you for the very informative reply. Have found the Outside/Inside option but did not realize I could use either the Engrave option or a very small tool diameter. Guess I am too literal in thinking I have to spec what I am actually using. Need to get outside this box. Do you have any opinions regarding CamBam as a basic beginners tool? PM me if you do, hope I can ask that question on the forum. FWIW, I think my y axis problem is a slipping timing pulley. Take care.
Burt

Do you have any opinions regarding CamBam as a basic beginners tool?

The best part about CamBam is that it is cheap. It lack some features of more expensive packages, but it's pretty easy to use and learn. I do recommend it for hobby use. It also plays well with Mach3. I've been using it for a couple of years.

Jim:
Sounds great. Will try a couple of things using the demo version before trying to get it for my B'day. Want to try to make a Spindle Wrench and new brackets for the steppers. You know, the kind that are not made of bolted together scraps of aluminum. Thanks again, will ask my questions here. Take care.
Burt

Highly recommend that you get the cambam/cutviewer bundle. You'll save yourself from running jobs that don't do what you think they will. After 2 years of using these 2 products together, I trust cutviewer completely. There is a trial available for both products, so try it for yourself.

Thanks woodguy, saw in CamBam there was an option to run the cutviewer but have not tried it yet. Sounds like it may well be worth having. Hoping to get "cheap" material locally so don't want to make too many scrap parts. Will give it a try when I get the basic part defined and configured in the CAM part of the package. Take care. Burt

Back