Caltrans work

Nutfarmer

Registered
Registered
There is a bridge over the Sacramento River next to my home. Caltrans has a repair project on the bridge that has been going on for several months. I totally understand the need for repairs or up dates and willing out up with the constitution. I lost it this evening at midnight with them running jackhammer over the top of my home. Question am I wrong? I know the work needs to be done. But really jackhammers at midnight? I blew up the internet and the phone. If it's in the day time ok but at midnight?

Tell them your offended, they'll tear the bridge down. Now really, ask them to pay for alternate lodging, or you'll take legal action, noise statutes, hours exceeding curfews. I had an ambulance station on a main road, and they quit work for the weekend, but left a warped steel plate over the trench that banged with every car that ran it over,,,, twice. Frequent 18 wheelers were the worst. I feel for your plight.

Yeah. jackhammers at midnight. Not cool at all! Hopefully it was just a one time thing that needed to be done? I think a call to Caltrans is in order for sure!
Good luck
Martin

Unfortunately, the answer to daytime traffic disruption is nighttime construction. Definitely contact CalTrans and try to work something out.
Try living across the road from a fire station.
Which bridge?

You think you have it rough. For us, it is the weekend (sometimes daily) shooting/target practice by a couple of the neighbors, a next-door neighbor dog that barks at me each time I walk outside my house, and the gd woodpeckers that like to go after the gutters. Where's my shotgun?

Seriously though I'm now just very glad to not live under a bridge or near a fire station. Best of luck to you getting some respite from the noise.

Unfortunately there is not an answer that would suit all.
I agree that midnight jackhammering is not cool.
I have a hard time sleeping in the first place.
I don’t think I wouldn’t be able to sleep at all.

Are there not regulations concerning noise? In my area nothing can start before 7am and must stop at 11pm

I used to live 150 feet from a rail line. Freighters all night. they have to blow their horns for the upcoming crossing when southbound.
But the worst was when you had miles long frieghters, and you didn't know they were there, they were stopped. And then they would release the brakes, or you would hear the banging of the knuckles. Scared the crap out of ya in the middle of the night.

Yea the engines were bad, but you knew they were coming and even in your sleep it was not shocking like the above mentioned issues.
But everynight between the commuters and freight it was noisy.
That and 2 airports close by...

Back