California Scraping Class getting full

Richard King

Bronze
Former Member
Hi Everyone,

The May 31 - June 2 class is filling up and we need a few more students. PM me or write me. Richard@Handscraping.com
Here is some info on it.

I will be teaching a long weekend class in the Bay Area near Oakland, California at a small machine shop. We need more students The class will be held Friday, May 31st - June 2, 2013 from 8 AM to 6 PM.. I will teach you to Hand-Scrape, hand 1/2 moon flake, Biax Power Scrape and 1/2 moon Flake, Learn about leveling and aligning ways, how to straighten and scrape a tapered gib, learn to epoxy Rulon / Turcite / Phenolic and scrape and discuss Moglice, How to repair lubrication issues, how to scrape a ID bearing, how to rebuild a spindle.. You can bring along a personal project and we will rebuild it in the class. In past classes students have scraped their lathe compounds, straight-edges, Milling machine tables, repaired there Mini lathe or mill, learned how to scrape the bottom of a precision level, etc.

Rich

We have 7 students now and could use a couple of more. The class is being held at a famous Blacksmith's shop in Oakland CA May 31-June 2. I will teach you how to hand and power scrape, level and align a lathe, check, straighten, scrape and set a tapered gib, how to 1/2 moon oil flake, learn about lubrication systems, how to install spindle bearings and several tricks of the trade of machine tool rebuilding. PM me if your interested or email me at Richard@handscraping.com PS: All former and the new students, we will have a swap meet on Sunday afternoon, so bring anything you would like to sell or barter with. Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow no way! I wish I could make it! I have a scraper, and scraping to do! I have the "Machine Tool Reconditioning" book, but haven't tackled it yet..

Bernie

A few people want to do a class in NY, but we need someone to step up and host it. We need a place where we can scrape; a small shop or 3 car size garage with a granite surface plate and a big table. Is basically all we need. Anyone in NJ or NY shoot me a PM or email and we can get the ball rolling. The host is free, accept he must do the work getting his shop ready and help with emails, etc. Rich

Re: California Scraping Class - Project notes

Hi,

I'm enrolled in this class to support my reconditioning of a Clausing-Colchester 13" Lathe. It dates from the early 70's and is the slightly newer square head style. I've cleaned up some minor problems with the change gear box and the apron but the more fundamental problem is that the ways are worn in the area from 2 to about 18 from the headstock. I can stick a 0.010 feeler gauge in there when holing a straightedge to vee face of the ways. I've located a shop locally that will grind the ways for a halfway reasonable fee. But then, as they say, the fun begins. The carriage's way interface needs to be built up by however much the ways will be ground down so that the carriage ends up in the vertical location it is supposed to be. Presumably that means adding Turcite or Rulon or ?? to fill the gap. (Is that compatible with the carriage clamp that I use all the time? Or am I worrying for nothing?)
As preparation for the class, I was thinking of making a 16" long tool with the same cross section as the ways. Is that a useful thing? The other possible pre-class preparation project might be to machine a 60 angle on a 24" camel-back straight edge and scrape it back to true in the class. Is that feasible?

Regards, Paul

Hi,

I'm enrolled in this class to support my reconditioning of a Clausing-Colchester 13" Lathe. It dates from the early 70's and is the slightly newer square head style. I've cleaned up some minor problems with the change gear box and the apron but the more fundamental problem is that the ways are worn in the area from 2 to about 18 from the headstock. I can stick a 0.010 feeler gauge in there when holing a straightedge to vee face of the ways. I've located a shop locally that will grind the ways for a halfway reasonable fee. But then, as they say, the fun begins. The carriage's way interface needs to be built up by however much the ways will be ground down so that the carriage ends up in the vertical location it is supposed to be. Presumably that means adding Turcite or Rulon or ?? to fill the gap. (Is that compatible with the carriage clamp that I use all the time? Or am I worrying for nothing?)
As preparation for the class, I was thinking of making a 16" long tool with the same cross section as the ways. Is that a useful thing? The other possible pre-class preparation project might be to machine a 60 angle on a 24" camel-back straight edge and scrape it back to true in the class. Is that feasible?

Regards, Paul

Dear Paul,

Yes you will have to add a wear-strip to the bottom of the saddle. The issue I see is "What Thickness". The material can be many things, I use Phenolic Grade Linen or Rulon 142. The Phenlic is harder and will not compress as easy as Rulon. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. If you tighten your clamp a lot and very tight, then I would use Phenolic. I usually use .047" to .062". So if they grind off .015" off the bed, then you would need to mill the saddle to as the sad bring it back to the original height. You also need to consider the glue line of .003 to .005. We can discuss this in class.

I not sure what you mean by "16" long tool with the same cross section as the ways." Please explain f that's the means cross-slide or bottom of saddle? It is only a 3 day class and we will spend day 1 and possibly 1/2 of day 2 learning to scrape. Most of the time folks work on the compound slide as it is easier to do in 1 1/2 days. You can bring the saddle and cross slide, gib so we can discuss it and if your a super fast learner, we might get around to working on it too. As far as making a 60 deg straight-edge. If your ways are 60 deg's. you do not scrape the flat and dovetail at same time. When I make a straight-edge I machine a 45 deg angle on it as we scrape both flats first getting them parallel and then the dovetails.

This info is all covered in the class and is very hard to write about. You can call me or email me. You have been receiving the info emails I have been sending you right? Rich

Re: Bay Area of California Scraping Class as of May 20th

Hi everyone,

We will be doing the class so if anyone wants to learn to scrape we still have room for 1 or 2 more students. If you can't make it please tell your friends. If you read and write on other forum sites please pass the word we will be doing a scraping / Rebuilding class May 31 - June 2 in Emeryville CA which is between Oakland and Berkeley in the Bay Area. Our host shop is a Blacksmith who makes throwing axes. Just seeing his work will be super interesting, let alone you will learn how to scrape. I have the class advertised on Ebay and accept Pay-Pal. Thanks. Rich

I not sure what you mean by "16" long tool with the same cross section as the ways." Please explain if that's the means cross-slide or bottom of saddle?

pb>> The bottom of the saddle. The idea was to reproduce the ways in order to do the cementing of the phenolic / rulon and the subsequent scraping more conveniently. But I guess I have ways for that.

Most of the time folks work on the compound slide as it is easier to do in 1 1/2 days. ...
When I make a straight-edge I machine a 45 deg angle on it as we scrape both flats first getting them parallel and then the dovetails.

pb>> I'll bring the compound along with the other parts but as far as I know the compound ain't broke so why fix it.
OK, my pre-class homework will be to machine a 45 degree angle on one side of the straightedge.

You have been receiving the info emails I have been sending you right? Rich
pb>> Yes, I have received the tools list and the Seminar .pdf file. (although parts of that are hard to read.)
Regards, Paul

You can bond it on the machine so the epoxy squeezes out to the angle on the saddle. I like to spray die release agent (wax) on the saddle to keep it from bonding to it. We can cover this online too. Rich

Hey everybody. Just a quick report on the scraping and machine reconditioning class conducted By Richard King last weekend. The short version is that if you are reading these words and you have the opportunity to take Richard's class, do it, you will learn a lot.
We had 3 full days that covered principles of scraping, hand scraping, machine scraping, and topics related to machine rebuilding and setup. Some of us were complete novices and some were accomplished machinists with decades of experience. But everybody learned to scrape -- although some of us need lots more practice... And there was time for one on one consulting on the topics and projects of most interest to each of us.

This link is a slideshow that will give an idea of some of the demonstrations and sights.

http://s739.photobucket.com/user/prboulay/slideshow/Richard King Machine Scraping Class

Thanks to Richard our instructor and Dad, to Jim for being the gracious host and to DH for pulling it all together.

Paul

Last edited:
Back