California Bans Non-detergent Motor Oil: What To Use Instead?

gjmontll

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Earlier this year, California banned the sale of non-detergent motor oils. As recommended, this is what I've been using on my lathes. (Currently a Logan 820.)
I'd been buying quarts of non-detergent, usually from Auto Zone. Now, after striking out at Auto Zone and Pep Boys, the counterman at Kragen told me it, and other "obsolete oil grades"could no longer be sold here. Apparently this is to protect ignorant consumers.
So I wonder what an adequate substitute would be, perhaps compressor oil or hydraulic oil? Does it really matter on a 72-year-old hobby lathe? Your suggestions please. Yeah, Crazy California... I know, I agree. I'm looking for practical advice, not political discussion.

Greg,
Escondido CA

what was there reasoning behind that?

What do you use the oil for? Ways can use chainsaw bar oil, and bearings could probably be OK with hydraulic oil. Open gear lube can be used for the open gears, and gearbox bearings can probably use hydraulic oil as well.

As far as I could research, hydraulic oil is basically refined oil with anti-wear additives.

They banned sperm oil too.....go figure.

My lathe calls for iso 32 hydraulic oil in the gear boxes.

Greg

iso 32 oils will work just fine.
i'm still able to purchase 30wt nd at tractor supply in 5 gallon buckets and 2.5 gallon jugs too.
i may have to stock up if they aren't able to bring more in...:bang head:

Back