Cad

Greg,

In Fusion, click on the file icon in the header. Select "new drawing". From the drop down menu, select "from design". From the popup menu, select your drawing standard, dimension units, and sheet size. Drop your base view at its desired position or hit the escape key to delete. In the upper left corner, in the views section, the first icon is for selecting a new base view. If selected, a menu will pop up on the right where you can select which view you want , the scale, and a few other things. You can drop the base view wherever you wish (it can be moved later). The second icon is for projected views. Clicking on that icon will allow you to create additional projected views from a chosen parent view. Depending upon which direction you move from the parent view, the correct views will be created. E.g., if the parent view is a front view and you are using third angle projection, moving to the right will create a right view, moving to the top will create a top view, and moving at a diagonal will create an isometric view. Click in each view will drop it and initiate another view. Hitting [enter] will end the process and hitting [Esc] will abort the process.

Thanks for the concise directions.

Jim

Thanks RJ, I gave it a try and it works fine. I just played with some of the basics, but it's pretty simple, reasonably intuitive, and WHAM here's a printout! Thanks again!
I've been working thru the Basic Training tutorials, maybe I'll get to the Drawings one tomorrow.
Greg

Another good CAD option is Rhinoceros.
(I'm too new to link it :) )
It's great modeling software, and (apparently) the drafting and detailing end of it works pretty well too. Our design staff uses it to model and render the tradeshow exhibits we build. While we do most of our construction drawings in AutoCAD, that has more to do with a better drafting interface rather than any failings on the part of Rhino. There are also several CAD / CAM options available, additional plugins for parametric modeling, etc.

Overall I've found it fairly easy to use. It has a lot of similarities to AutoCAD, it's easier to generate organic shapes, and it's a lot cheaper at $1000 (vs. $4500ish for AutoCAD). That's probably excessive for hobby level use, but it's very, very reasonable if you're talking about doing any serious quantity of CAD work.

They have a 30 day free trial that's fully functional, but I also remember being limited to 20-30 file saves.

Because I'm new, I feel the need to tell you I have no connection to Rhino (financial or otherwise), and that I'm not a corporate shill... :)
I work with AutoCAD all day every day, and likely wouldn't switch full time to Rhino if given the choice. It is, however, another tool in my box, and it is something I would invest in should my CAD requirements change.

Jay M

Back