[Drill] C. H. Joyce Drill Press

RXH-UK

Registered
Registered
This drill has a brass plate marked: "C. H. Joyce, Engineers Tools, London S.E." I plan to buy new belts for it and get it working, driven by an electric motor. I am puzzled by the belt tensioning arrangement. It looks like if the top belt is tightened the bottom belt will go slack. Please can anyone give an explanation of how to get both belts suitably tightened?
IMG_0487A.JPG IMG_0483A.JPG

IMG_0487A.JPG

Wow, unusual mechanism. I don't have any experience with flat belts so hopefully somebody else can help out. I did find this video though which shows a similar arrangement with that 90-degree affair on the upper belt. There looks to be some kind of adjustment knuckle on the top pulley though -- I take it yours has nothing like that?

Good luck with this, it'll be interesting to follow.

-frank
Capture drill press.JPG

Wow, unusual mechanism. I don't have any experience with flat belts so hopefully somebody else can help out. I did find this video though which shows a similar arrangement with that 90-degree affair on the upper belt. There looks to be some kind of adjustment knuckle on the top pulley though -- I take it yours has nothing like that?

Good luck with this, it'll be interesting to follow.

-frank
View attachment 225178
Thanks for your reply, Frank. The only adjustment I can find is the handle at the back - when it is loosened the axle of the central pulleys can be moved up or down. I would like to know what I am doing before I order the belts as they are fairly expensive. Anyway, I'll post updates on my progress.
Richard

Is it possible that one of the pulleys is on an eccentric shaft?

IMG_5056A.JPG Well, I got it to work. I made the new flat belts as short as I dared and mounted the motor on a hinged platform so that the v-belt can be tensioned and swapped between pulleys. For the flat belts the required length is indeed the same over all three speeds and it is possible to get enough slack to change speed by loosening the central shaft using the lever. It is possible to obtain the following speeds: 146, 211, 292, 422, 583 & 843 rpm. Not exactly in line with modern notions of HSE but it runs with an impressive whirring and clanking sound.

If I owned it , the long belt would be on a lower pulley with no tension when not used. Belts do stretch. The top pulley belt can be relieved with the lever.
Just trying to help , if you needed to an idler pulley could be used on the bottom belt easy to make it and a sliding shaft for speed changes.

Thanks for the tip about the belts stretching. I'll slacken them when the machine is not in use.

Back