1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

BXA lathe tool holder storage using 80/20 on a PM1340GT?

Discussion in 'PRECISION-MATTHEWS' started by Alan H, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Alan H

Alan H United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Spanish Fort
    State:
    Alabama

-Return to Top-

I have some different profiles of 80/20 on hand and I am considering using it as the foundation for a storage rack for BXA tool holders on my PM1340GT lathe. I have seen some examples using this approach for storage on the tailstock end of the splash guard of the lathe. I cannot find them now!

Some ideas on the use of 80/20 would be very much appreciated. How do you attach it to the splash guard and what could one use for the individual holders that attach to the 80/20?

2. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

bss1, Alan H, mikey and 1 other person like this.
  3. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

4. BGHansen

BGHansen United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Charlotte
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I used Uni-strut on my back splash and made some angled holders out of 1/8" thick aluminum. I originally made some aluminum bracketry to attach the uni-strut to the back splash. When I added a second tier the whole arrangement was a bit "floppy", so changed the bracketry on the back splash to uni-strut also. It's really solid now and sooo convenient to have everything within reach and off the head stock and out of the chip pan.

A buddy at work depleted the supply of pull dowels using Jay's basic design above, saved the drill/tapping step since the dowels are already threaded. Jay's design is really clean, the pull dowels would save a lot of tapping.

Bruce

photo 9.jpg 20170121_094500a.jpg 20170121_094512a.jpg

mksj, Guv, Alan H and 1 other person like this.
  5. bss1

bss1 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Bruce and jay have excellent examples. Some of the best I have seen. If I had room, I would like Bruce's double decker design. Jay definitely went the extra mile machining the holders.

I made mine in a similar but not as extravagant fashion. I used 1" 80/20, although I think the 1/2" profile jay used would be better. The holders were made from 1/8" aluminum angle similar to Bruce's. I attached mine with 4, 1/4" screws through the front lip of the backsplash. I attached it to some of the tabs that fit into dove tail on the back side of the 80/20. I thought about through bolting it but the bolt heads on the front side would have prevented the holder brackets from being able to slide laterally to reposition them as needed. While not as solid of a mount as through bolting would have been, it's plenty solid for its use.

View attachment 231533 View attachment 231534 View attachment 231535

Attached Files:

ronboult, Guv, Alan H and 2 others like this.
  6. ronboult

ronboult Australia Active User Active Member

City:
    Macleay Is, Brisbane

-Return to Top-

Hi Allan
    I used 30mm 80/20 bolted to the back chip sheild just under the top lip. The 30 mm 80/20 was wide enogh to just extend out past the top lip. Before attaching I installed some small wedges behind to ensure the front face leaned back a little to stop the tool holders falling off with any vibration.
    To hold the BXA tool holders I angle ripped some 25mm (1") HDPE on the table saw to 60 deg each side. Just flip the flat stock for alternate cuts.
    My first rips were made slighly oversized and then I sanded strips for a tight slip fit. Cross cut to suitable length drilled and counter bored for cap screws and fitted to the 80/20 with the 80/20 rotatable nuts.
    The holders are easily adjustable to the spacing required and can be rotated 180 deg for boring bar holders etc.
    The HDPE is soft enough and flexible enogh that they hold the BXA' s securely with no scratching.
    Ron

Edited to add a couple of photos

IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4152.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    bss1, Fitter Bill, BGHansen and 4 others like this.
  7. pstemari

pstemari H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Renton
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Very nice!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk