[Newbie] Buying Used Micrometers?

What ever you do, DO NOT buy a Starrett model # 734 digital micrometer! They eat batteries as fast as you can buy them. No auto shut off. They run down batteries even when they are off. ANY model that needs a Renata battery, yes it is a specific battery, is not worth squat. I had one for many years, I finally tied a dollar bill to it and threw it away. At least the guy that found it found something worth a dollar. They are a POS!
Like your attitude ! Wnever I discover a good- looking tool or part that's subtly
WRONG I write NFG on all sides. Ever try to nail with a head attached at a wrong
angle ? ..........BLJHB.

Not to argue with you, but I do not believe this to be the case. As long as you're not measuring over rusty surfaces or oilstones, your hardened steel faces will last a lifetime with care.
I have been using the same non - carbide mikes since I was an apprentice in the mid 1960s, and still use them; even my 0 - 1" is still in very good condition and accurate, it being the most used of all. The shop required employees to have their own 0 - 1 mike and the tool room supplied the larger ones as needed, checked out against your tool check token. I had all my own up to 6". Needless to say, they were in better shape than the company's mikes. I would not hesitate to buy mikes on E Bay if I needed any more, but be selective, don't go for the dirt cheap items but select the best looking that you see; likely if you receive something that has obvious damage, it can be returned to the seller. Be sure of the seller's return policy before you buy!
To me the huge number of mikes for sale on E Bay (and I look only at Brown & Sharpe items) is sad; every one listed likely represents a vanished industry, or a dead machinist, sad indeed.

For what it's worth, I had a cheap China caliper that ate batteries like mad. Almost all digital instruments are on all the time, just the display turns off. After a bit of research, I found that the cheap digital instruments use mostly LR44 batteries. The good instruments come with SR44 batteries. The SR44's (silver oxide batteries) have a different voltage curve than the LR's. The voltage on a silver oxide battery stays up until the battery is almost gone, then drops fast. The LR batteries start dropping right away, and it doesn't take long before they get below the instruments threshold voltage. It only takes a tenth or two of voltage drop to cause the display to start flashing. The China instruments also have a larger current draw than the more expensive instruments, so they take the battery down faster.

So bottom line is, buy good quality instruments, they are cheaper in the long run.

Steve

First. Does the thread rattle?
Second. Can you see light between the anvils at zero ?
If NO , its probably good enough. ..........BLJHB

My work provides many of the metrology items needed, every thing from mitutoyo digital coolant proof calipers to Pratt and witney super micrometers and Zeiss cmm machines. Most of the standard mics are starrett and of ok quality. American made B & S valueline are close to starrett. I would place mitutoyo equal to for their lower line or better than their american made counter parts on mics and the best on digital calipers.

Swiss made tesa, etalon, and brown and sharpe are cream of the crop and really similar as the are all made/owned by the same company. My personal mics are all etalon and brown and sharpe. I have two full set home/work and half a dozen 1" spread around the place. Plus some depth mics and thread mics. All bought on ebay, all under 50$, all check good with lab quality gage blocks after a good cleaning/lube/adjustment. Many are like new! Just look at the pics real good and be willing to wait. As an astute gentalemen mentioned earlier check out Long Island gage services site.

Same goes for indicators. Top is swiss bestest,compac,interapid. (Same company). Mitutoyo is fine. Unlike starrett mics I find last word indicators to be quite aweful. I detest them greatly.

I do think starrett offers the best steel rules, punches, taper Gage's and center Gage's however. Niko has nice gage stands.

Etalon, hands down. I purchased 3 from Ebay and they are all pristine. I got all 3 for under $120.00, 0-1, 1-2. and 2-3".
You just have to know what to look for and you can always return them if they are not what is listed. The Swiss made Etalon is
a work of art. Sadly, the 260 series is no longer made. The Etalon Micro-Rapid is jewel.

Back