Buying my first lathe, no experience and need help

I will give what little advice I can, as I am just diving in to this myself.
If that is what you think is the biggest you want, go at least to the next step bigger in size. I was told this repeatedly by everyone. I ended up with a really great lathe a bit larger than I had planned on. I also spent a fair bit more than I planned on.
I had saved up a fair bit, as I looked for about 4 years before I took the plunge. Just put a bigger sent in what I was going to spend on tooling. Ramin noodles and hot dogs again for a while,lol.
Now that I have a lathe I have been looking for tooling. Not much in my area, but have been finding the Logan and Atalas 9" lathes all over the place now!? There was nothing showing up in decent shape in that size in my area for several years.
Be patient and one will show up.
Jeff

Thanks for the advice mate, ive cancelled the bid on the lathe on ebay i was looking at put the money towards something better. Ive been wanting a lathe for a few years ever since i saw one being used when i went to welding school. That was my way of thinking too, might as well go for something bigger than what you think you will need so your not regreting your choice a few years down the track. Ive been looking at whats out there and i think im going to set my budget at about $1500 AUD max. Ive got one in my ebay watchlist thats about $1200. Its 180 x 400, 500W brushless motor, variable speed and a set of tools to go with it. Would something like that be suitable or go for something bigger?

Dunno about you, but room and space was my biggest problem. That is the only reason I went with a 11x36. I found newer, larger 3 phase for a lot less money. The main thing on this one was the excellent well cared for shape it was in.
Good luck to you.
Just a heads up, but you will want a mill shortly, lol.
Jeff

Looks like you might be in Oz? If so, here is a list of model engineering clubs and live steam associations that might be a good resource for you. Here in the US, Live steam clubs are full of like minded hobby machinists who build miniature locomotives - mostly 1.6" to the foot scale. The big thing is there are always people in the various clubs so are helpful and willing to assist people ingested in learning about machine work.

Maybe there is a local Group near you that you could contact for advice, also for used lathes for sale. Look at the links page for the list of local Australian societies.

http://www.aals.asn.au/

Glenn

Its 180 x 400, 500W brushless motor, variable speed and a set of tools to go with it.

In equivalent lingo that is about a 7" swing x 16" between centers with a 2/3rd HP motor. That probably is a fine enough machine and one you would learn plenty of cool things. You have not said very much about what you want to do with the lathe. I think we all get it that you want to make cool stuff - machine a bit of "this & that". Maybe you'll do some home gadgets, perhaps get some of the machining books and make a few of the projects described, maybe you'll buy a couple of the kits for tools or machine attachments, perhaps some parts for cars/tractors/bikes, . . . . .?

That is great. Join the group here, there is plenty of that here (basically mostly what I do too). 7"x16" is a very modest machine. The machine Jeff (above) describes is a lot more competent and is very well suited for misc. general purpose stuff. I have 2 lathes, one is a little smaller than Jeff's (I have an 11"x24") and it would cover the vast majority of what I do. My first lathe was 15"x60" - I still have it and I actually use it about 70% of the time - even though I could do most of that work on the smaller lathe. They are both good machines, reasonably tooled - but I like the larger one for certain jobs. 15"x60" is not a "big" lathe. 11"x24" is not a "small" lathe. I guess it is all relative. Of course larger means more space, more trouble when you have to move it, tooling & accessories cost a bit more. My usual advice is buy as much machine up front as you can (Jeff's advice is good) - he spend extra and ate cheap for a while - but he ended up with a much better set up. Sounds like he never looked back.

When I bought that first lathe, the 15x60 - I way over paid, I spent every dime I had to get a good machine, good set of attachments (2 chucks, face plate, both steadies, TTA), but zero tooling, no good place to put it and not even the ability to plug it in (3 phase). Okay, that was 34 years ago - sure it took a bit of time, I got the details sorted and I have never regretted that initial purchase. I now have 5 more primary machines and several small machines - and all put together they cost the same as that first machine. So what, the first machine got me started and I am very satisfied with how the hobby has worked out for me. That is one approach.

There is nothing wrong with getting a modest machine and moving on to something else later. I am just sharing what my experience was. I didn't have to contend with a machine that did not work, when I was trying to learn the basics. I have kept investing in that same machine and it is still a good part of my set up.

For general messing around 7" maximum swing is pretty small (again, depends on what you want to do). Variable speed? I'm pretty ho-hum on that. If the variable speed is taking the place of gears then I suspect you'll run into bottom end torque issues. When that brushless motor is dialed down, there isn't much power. With reduction gearing, you get about the same power - so torque goes up as the speed goes down.

Tooling? Buy based on what you are doing. For general messing around, grind some highspeed steel. I now have lots of tooling. I still grind tooling. All the fancy & special tooling in the world is not going to eliminate the need to grind tooling from time to time. Get used to it. I'll go out on a limb with this statement: If you are machining, you will be more successful if tool grinding is part of your repertoire. Grinding tooling is not a big deal - get a 6" bench grinder and start messing around.

Try to find a machine like Jeff's (above) not more than 10 years old, something that all the basic features work - and don't sweat the price. Regardless, start saving $$, work out your shop space, work out transport and consider sorting out 3 phase power (that really opens up machine options).

Of course, all comments above assume that you are putting safe operation as your first and primary concern for everything you do.

Thanka for the advice mate, thats helped me out with a lot of questions and concerns ive had. For the work being done some of the first things i want to try are knobs for my car, cigarette lighter, dashboard lights etc. Motorbike, go cart, drift trike parts, computer watercooling fittings for a long awaited project ive been wanting to do. Ive read some reviews of the lathe im looking at and apparently the brushless motor in the lathe has torque control so it changes the torque levels depending on speed and load. Its called a SIEG SC3, ill attach an Ebay link at the bottom. I like the idea of getting a machining book for some projects to try, ive not had the best of luck finding maching books i have found one but got no idea how good it is or if it has projects, do you guys recognize it? Ill attach a picture. Im only 23 and still living at home so space is limited, ive got a bit to work with but not much. I wont be getting three phase power while im living at home, not worth the investment cost IMO, might be when i move so ill have to stick to single phase for now. Im a welder by trade and do a bit of it on the weekends so ill probabely be making stuff for that side too. Ive already started saving, decided ill save for a few months until i can get the money together to buy something i really want and wont be dissapointed with, something that will last for years to come. Thinking about getting a tool box and keeping my eye out for cheap tooling while im saving for the big one, ive seen a few lots pop up going for dirt cheap. Also what are people's opinions on the best knurling tools? Thanks heaps for all your help everybody, im starting to get that pit in my stomach of sheer, utter excitement that ill finally get my hands on a lathe

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301735606253

Screenshot_20170315-203457.png

Ok so after doing a bit of looking on ebay ive come across a few other books, they look quite good says their geared towards the beginner and contain a fair few projects to help build skills. What do you guys think?

Screenshot_20170316-002523.png Screenshot_20170316-002358.png Screenshot_20170316-002326.png Screenshot_20170316-002745.png

All books that Harold hall has are good books and worth buying, also tubal Cain books will be good reading.
My advice on buying a lathe for the first time user/buyer is to go new, the reason is that you don't have enough information or experience to know what you are getting or not getting with it and that can become very costly and frustrating.
When you go new you will get 95 % of what you need to get started, you get the 3 & 4 jaw chucks the centers tool holders and the necessary change gears, all you need then is the cutting tools and you are ready to get going.
Now when you do buy, if you go new DONT take it apart!!!! wipe it down oil it up and start learning the lathe and give it time to break / seat itself in, that way if you encounter a problem you will know that the problem is in the lathe and NOT something you did, and the seller will be more inclined to help you sort it out, plus you will have a warranty to back you up.

Oh sweet i watch tubalcain on Youtube, was thinking of buying one of his shop lessons on USB that he makes. Yeah thats what ive picked up on from what the giys have said, just go new so theres not any headaches. Ok sweet thats one thing i was concerned about, ive heard with the cheaper hobby lathes they need to be taken apart to make sure the beds are level, everythings there but ill just leave it be. When you say wipe it down do you mean get all the oils that it came with off? Clean all the gunk fron shipping? Where abouts should i apply some oil after ive wiped it down? Headstock, tailstock, bedways etc? Also whats a good oil to use?

One quick look at that machine: It's a stay away.
Al

Back