Buying a new lathe

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace
Well, my new lathe, a PM1236 will be shipping to me this week!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in my trails and tribulations incurred during the setup and installation? I will
be adding some accessories, such as a lever collet closer and a DRO to start with. Then some tooling as I move along.

Speak now or forever hold your piece. :))

Gary

Last edited:
Re: Buying new lathe

Yes, please do share Gary. We may all be able to learn something from your experience. Photos from arrival to completion would be nice.

David

Let's start with what I had before.

This is what I started with and had been using for the last 25 years:

001Small.jpg

It worked fine within it's limits. Now it's time to move to something bigger and heavier. It's Chinese but it will due:

PM1236_003.jpg

I'm just doing hobby stuff and not using it for production work so it will work fine for my purposes.
This new lathe should be shipping this week, so I am getting prepared for it's arrival, hopefully next week.

In my next post I will go through some of my preparations.

Gary

001Small.jpg PM1236_003.jpg

+1 for following along the progress.

thanks Gary

Hey Gary,

Glad I noticed this thread. I bought a 13X40 JET 2 yrs ago and the results were less than spectacular, with regard to service. The headstock is pinned and is still not aligned per the factory specs. Trying to work it out now. The "retailer" has sent techs, but they brushed and pulled and stared and left in same condition. But enough.

The bottom line is: If the retailer has enough "clout" with the factory, you will be fine. However, please be sure to check the lathe functions very carefully from day one. My opinion, if you do not have appropriate tests bars, acquire them. One quick check was sent to me. There are many to do.

see : http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...adstock-alignment-nightmare-with-Walter-Meier

Also, my lathe came with a "factory" test record.
And finally please keep us updated and I wish you the best.

Mike
Remlap AL

I got the word that my lathe shipped out today. Due to arrive the day after Christmas.
They sent me an e-mail telling me that the lathe already had a DRO installed and that they will take it off if I didn't want it.
They offered me deal if I would buy it, so I decided to take it.

In the mean time here is the spot it will live in. Same place as the atlas but with a little more width:
(There's actually more room than it looks like in the picture)

001 (Large).JPG

Then something I'll be needing that I really didn't need for the atlas since it was belt driven, oil:

002 (Large).JPG

And lastly something that I got from Grizzly that I will adapt to the lathe is a lever collet closer:

003 (Large).JPG

That's it for now.

001 (Large).JPG 002 (Large).JPG 003 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

I would be intrested in "tagging along". :thumbsup:

did the atlas sold already? or was it moved elsewhere to a temporary location?

did the atlas sold already? or was it moved elsewhere to a temporary location?

It sold last weekend. I needed some cash to pay for my new one!

I looks like tripletap3 just got his! 10 month wait?? I couldn't have waited that long!! First come first serve!

Luckily I got in at the tail end of this batch of lathes. I first contacted Matt on Nov.30, and my lathe will be here
the day after Christmas! Less than 30 days. I had also contacted Grizzly about their G4003G and they were out
to the end of Jan.

Back