Button rifling

I've researched this topic myself without a lot of success.
For those that have rifled their own barrels, do you prefer to make your own buttons or buy them ???
They are made of carbide, nearly impossible to make yourself.

For complete home made, look at cut rifling. This is how they did the original rifled barrels in the early 1800s. Or a bit more sophisicated for top end barrels today. How to do it books and you tubes and web links are out there.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...TYAhVBQyYKHalHDsIQ1QIIswEoAA&biw=1435&bih=820

Airpirate,
If you want the experience under your belt to rifle a barrel, by all means have fun with the learning. However, to keep life a bit simpler, I would stongly advise creating a barrel liner (sleeving). If you are building a double barrel derringer, want rifling and can drill two precision holes in the block, I would suggest this instead for .32 caliber barrel donors:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/597660
These served me well when I altered an S&W .38 barrel to a shroud for a .327 Federal conversion. You can also use a 7.62X39 barrel as a donor for sleeves as bore, groove and twist rate is the same. Bore accurately then turn the barrel down to a suitable sleeve for a minimal fit and use an epoxy or Loctite sleeve retainer to secure it. I have sleeved a lot of barrels over the years to reline bad barrels or to change calibers and I never ran into any issues using these techniques. Have fun with whatever you do and we'll look forward to your results.

Mark

I've actually watched barrels being rifled at Douglas, and the buttons are pushed through at about 15,000 psi, according to the gauge I was watching. If you are dead set about doing it yourself, you don't need really need carbide for a 1 off. You could make a button from any good tool steel, it's not like you're going into production.
I would cut micro grooves in the button, 12 instead of 6 for easier pushing. Make the button with a pilot length 2 times the caliber, the swage area 1.5 times the caliber, and the rest of the length long enough to push it all the way through. A .32 caliber usually has a slower twist, 16-18", so the angle of the groove on the button is going to be around the 3 degree neighborhood.

I have worked in a few gun shops and have done both button and hook rifling. We pulled our buttons with an old lathe for a frame and a big ball screw. Lubed the shiny bore with teflon. Drill, ream then rifle. For the odd calibers we used a sine bar rifling machine. We once rifled a .375 hole with 6 grooves in 15 min! The button would do the whole job in 20 seconds. To achieve top notch accuracy it was necessary to lap the barrel with a poured lead lap and valve grinding compound. The aforementioned .375 was fitted to a large Martini action and with a scope would shoot sub minute angle groups with factory 38-55 ammo. If you want to go into the barrel business build a puller . If you want to make barrels for fun and some occasional profit build a hook machine. We had both and I far and away liked the old style hook. Easy to make any twist you want and any bore size too. We could make all the tools for the old style machine but had to buy the buttons and they are pricey!!! The hook cutters were make from Rex95 or Momax tool steel. I have a T&C grinder so making the cutters is a breeze. I'd think you could build them with a bench grinder and a "Demerol" tool. (we had a hand who just couldn't say Dremel)! We even hand reamed a few with the old square bit and a slice of a stick. We shimmed the bit with cigarette papers. It will give you a beautiful slightly tapered bore to rifle. Make sure to make the muzzle end. Tapered bored, hand cut barrels shoot lead bullets like a dream. Modern jacked bullets can be used in the tapered barrel with no bad effects..
I guess I'd need to start another thread on hook machines. They are simple to make and oh so wonderful to use!

Last edited:
Cactus farmer, I would like to hear more on the hook machine.
You and others have voiced some interest in this comment. More will be coming, hopefully in a new thread. Being that I am a computer moron, I will need some help in setting up this new subject to this forum.

Back