Busy Bee versus King Canada

Film Guy

Registered
Registered
I've tried searching the site to no avail. I apologize in advance if I've missed a thread.

I'm just getting into this. I'm looking for a beginners mill. Unfortunately I've got to keep it to 110v for now. Looking to work mainly aluminium and plastics.

I would like to deal with local dealers, not mail order - I'm in west Toronto.

I've been looking at two machines - Busy Bee's CX 600 and King Industries Canada - KC-20VS. Both machines are currently listed under $1500.

They look like identical machines, however the King is listed as 1hp vs Bee's 3/4hp.

Any thoughts? Best bang for the buck? Better suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave,

If you have the ability to move 3/4 of a ton or so I'd call around to new/used machinery dealers an see if they have any small mills that are in decent condition. I bought my first mill (a Mathey) at an industrial auction in Brantford when I lived on Oakville and it was 120/220 v single phase - however it takes patience to find the right machine. If you have a truck or trailer I wouldn't let the border stand in my way. You have probably looked at KBC - not exactly a discount operation unless you wait for a sale.

The last refuge against truth in advertising is held by some electric motor and compressor manufacturers. Only they can make a 5 hp motor not much bigger than an old style 1 quart oil can. Of course the truth comes out when try to get get the rated hp out of it. I'd be perfectly happy with a 3/4 hp - in fact I was for 20 years. I wouldn't let the difference affect my decision.

I'm not familiar with either of the machines you mention but see if they match with anything from Harbour Freight - lots of opinions about their stuff on this site.
What you want to machine now is one thing, frequently once you get started things have a way of snowballing.

Good Luck
Michael

I've got the King one - and have been happy with it so far.

It's now 1/3 CNC'd! :D
(I just finished off the Z-axis shaft about 1/2 hr ago)

Back