Busy Bee DF-1224G lathe

Stupid question #2 (why make a fool of yourself once, when you can have TWO posts to laugh at!).

How on earth does one change the belt that goes back pulley to the main shaft?
Motor to the back pulley is easy.

For a center in the spindle, you will need the spindle adapter sleeve that is of the right taper to fit and then a dead center that fits the adapter sleeve. I have not looked but in the PDF you posted it should list the spindle taper, The adapter is a short version of the morse taper adapters that one can buy from industrial supply houses.

Second on the belt. Do you want to change the belt or just move it from pulley to pulley? To change the belt either requires disassembly or cut the old belt and replace with a Fenner Powertwist Belt. I choose the Fenner option. Better in the long run. If just moving the belt you have to release the tension via the lever on the side of the head stock.
Pierre

0007012-11.jpg

For a center in the spindle, you will need the spindle adapter sleeve that is of the right taper to fit and then a dead center that fits the adapter sleeve. I have not looked but in the PDF you posted it should list the spindle taper, The adapter is a short version of the morse taper adapters that one can buy from industrial supply houses.

Second on the belt. Do you want to change the belt or just move it from pulley to pulley? To change the belt either requires disassembly or cut the old belt and replace with a Fenner Powertwist Belt. I choose the Fenner option. Better in the long run. If just moving the belt you have to release the tension via the lever on the side of the head stock.
Pierre

Knew there was a semi easy answer.

Adapter sleeve. I'll have to hunt one down (already have a couple of centres).
And the belt... While I was hoping that wasn't the answer (thought maybe there was some hidden part that split the shaft or something!)... Answers that! The belt hasn't outright snapped yet, but its really frayed and looks like it'll go any time.

Are you allowed to say where's a good source for a Fenner without violating site rules??
(read something about no advertising)

thanks again!

For us in Canada the best so far is ...... Wait for it...... No it can't be?.......busy bee tools.
Look for Belt Link B/5 5/8" B208458B at $11.29 /ft. They also carry 1/2" & 3/8". I used these style belt of milling machine at work, table saw, lathe. Works great and no disassembly required.
Pierre

Hi Dr. Fiero. I recently purchased the Busy Bee version of this lathe (DF-1224G) from one of my brothers as he "upgraded" to a larger lathe. I really appreciate you sharing the manual as it has been hard to find (for free) online. Thank you.

Joe

Hi Dr. Fiero. I recently purchased the Busy Bee version of this lathe (DF-1224G) from one of my brothers as he "upgraded" to a larger lathe. I really appreciate you sharing the manual as it has been hard to find (for free) online. Thank you.

Joe

10 years later! Glad it's still helping. Starting 33 years ago I was a parts guy for an 'un-named' tool importer, and even back then realized how hard it was to find information on stuff. So I started collecting it for anything and everything I owned or bought.

Still have my 1224G BTW, and use it frequently.

That's some great forethought! I did see the date on this thread but I figured I'd send a shout out to you in the hopes that you would see it.

I'm glad to hear you're still using your machine - I have only done a couple of test cuts, but so far I'm very happy with it. I have worked in the trade for 20ish years so I've been spoiled with some nice and beefy machines. The 1224G, so far, seems like it will satisfy my needs at home.

Again, much appreciated for sharing the manual.

Back