Busy Bee 1244g In Parts - Need Help And Input

mohocamo

Registered
Registered
Just purchased a Busy Bee 1244g that was in parts. I need to make one shaft for the auto feed that seems to be missing, but the rest seems to be there. Once I get it running, I can machine new shaft. I have got it together, but the wires have been disconnected. I saw from reading previous posts that user q20v has the exact same lathe. Pics from him could be exactly what I need. I also read the post by user zonk2 and looked at his wires, but unfortunately, his wires, although the same colours, come out of the motor in a different order than mine.
Below I have posted the wires that go from the electrical box to the motor. Pic one is the wires out of the motor. The second picture is of the wires coming from the electrical box. The colours are hard to see but they are green from the ground, black and white. The last pictures is the big wire that goes to the plug. It seems that there are too many wires coming out of it to go to a single plug.
I have the manual that came with the machine, but the wiring diagram is Greek to me. Any help wiring the motor and the plug would be appreciated.

002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG

Welcome to Hobby-Machinist!
Is the motor single phase or 3 phase? Picture of the motor data plate?

Welcome to Hobby-Machinist!
Is the motor single phase or 3 phase? Picture of the motor data plate?
Here are pics of the motor data plate ...like how there is no manufacturing company name? Or is it Induction Motor? oops Looks as if I put the input wires from the wall plug into the electrical box for the motor when it should be the the cable with the 5 wires that going into the motor electrical box. That is going to make wiring the plug MUCH easier to figure out!
009.JPG 011.JPG 011.JPG

Last edited:
It is single phase. That means that only three wires should go to the wall. I will let others look at the wiring diagram, but I do not see colors listed there. Are the wires numbered?

Did you look at the back side of the cover that goes over the electrical connections on the motor? That is a very common and easily overlooked location for the motor wiring diagram.

It is single phase. That means that only three wires should go to the wall. I will let others look at the wiring diagram, but I do not see colors listed there. Are the wires numbered?

1 black, 2 red, 3 yellow, 4 grey, 5 white, 6 blue.

Looking back at the posts by zonk2, I am thinking that the wires may be different on mine just because someone put them out different "holes" Here is how the wires come out of the two motors. Do you think the blue and white wires are the same, just exiting the motor through different holes?
Mine is his is
Blk, red, yellow Blk, red, yellow
blue, grey, white White, grey, blue

Well... my engineer buddy just came in from out of town and we got her spinning! Now I am going to have to figure out how to square up the tail and head stock because they were off the lathe bed when I bought it.
Thanks for the advice and help.

Let me know if you need any help; Just found this thread and I've had a 12X37 for 35 years. Great lathe.

Back