Busch precision 24" camel back cast iron straight edge

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All
Just a quick question about the price or a used on of these? Found one of these at auction on the Bay. I placed a big but not sure how high "I should go on one of these. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this is not allowed here feel to delete it Mod.
Thanks
CH

It looks like it was used and the scraping needs a little touch up,but probably with in .001". I would think that new would be in the $1500.00 range. You have to think about how much you need it. If you just wanted a raw casting, there are a couple of guys, who i put their info on here in another tread...who probably charge $300.00 for a raw casting. I would think if you set a limit at $750.00 and you got it, would could consider it a good deal. Rich

It looks like it was used and the scraping needs a little touch up,but probably with in .001". I would think that new would be in the $1500.00 range. You have to think about how much you need it. If you just wanted a raw casting, there are a couple of guys, who i put their info on here in another tread...who probably charge $300.00 for a raw casting. I would think if you set a limit at $750.00 and you got it, would could consider it a good deal. Rich
Hi Rich
Well not sure if anyone in the hobby ranks needs one. I am going to scrape my benchtop mill before full CNC conversion. I am replacing the mill table that is on it now with a replacement(factory new) not fit to this mill. I will do most of the scraping by hand. After the ways are milled straight, and parallel. The ways do not have any oil retention. I' will be putting a one shot oiler on it also. If I find I have little use for it I can always sell it. I have inquired about raw castings, and have not received any responce .So I figured I would just get on with it. I have also tried to find the guy you said wanted to hold a class out here in Colorado. I live near the Air Force Academy, but can't find out who he is???
Thanks Rich
CH

Hi Rich
Well not sure if anyone in the hobby ranks needs one. I am going to scrape my benchtop mill before full CNC conversion. I am replacing the mill table that is on it now with a replacement(factory new) not fit to this mill. I will do most of the scraping by hand. After the ways are milled straight, and parallel. The ways do not have any oil retention. I' will be putting a one shot oiler on it also. If I find I have little use for it I can always sell it. I have inquired about raw castings, and have not received any responce .So I figured I would just get on with it. I have also tried to find the guy you said wanted to hold a class out here in Colorado. I live near the Air Force Academy, but can't find out who he is???
Thanks Rich
CH

I looked and couldn't find it either as my old laptop died...lost everything. Email me will you. Richard@Handscraping.com I want to tell you something.

Rich

Hi Rich
Thanks Rich
CH
I am ordering 2 raw castings, they are under 200 each. Tim

Craig Donges, 8389 State Route 534, Berlin Center, Ohio 44401. Tele. # : 330 502 0066.

I am ordering 2 raw castings, they are under 200 each. Tim

Wow! That's a price.
Do you think he has more?
Please let us know how they look.

Daryl
MN

Daryl I posted his name and Greg's who both sell them in "Tools to Buy" forum: Here is what I said.

[h=2]Re: What tools to buy?[/h]
I wouldn't count on machine repair guy.

Contact these guys, they makes them and they are legit. Both of the following 2 guys I believe sell them raw casting, machined or scraped.

Gregory Dermer ....... Greg was a student and I know a friend of mine just bough a couple castings from him a month ago

2945 NE 17th Ave
Portland, OR 97212

503-805-0680

Also this guy used to make em too. The last time I spoke to his guy 2 years ago and he was out of stock.....

Craig Donges, 8389 State Route 534, Berlin Center, Ohio 44401. Tele. # : 330 502 0066.

There is also a Indian company I have been talking to who makes them. Try those guys and if you don't get results let me know and I'll contact the other company.

Please let me know what you find out from these guys.

I know Polor Tool in Mpls has some used ones but he has unrealistic prices.

When I buy Dura-Bar I order grey iron. I believe it's class 25. The Dura-Bar plant I order from is in Wood-Stock IL

Also expect to high heat stress relieve the castings. Ask Greg and Craig if hey have been stress relieved. I would high temp stress relieve them before machining then stress relieve them again and then finish machine and scrape them.
High temp stress relieve means "cooking" the iron over 12 hours time. Put them in a furnace and take the heat to 1100 for 2 hours, then lower the heat to 900 for 2 hours, then lower to 700 for 2 hours, then 500 for 2 hours, then 250 for 2 hours and then off till they get to room temp. I have pro's do it.
Heating it up and shutting of the heat does nothing. If you don't stress relieve it will move around a lot. You will scrape it and the next day it will change.
Also "wring" the straight edge and that means to hang it from a rope and hit it with a soft blow hammer or 2 x 4 and let the iron vibrate or wring like a bell

Rich

Back