Burke No. 4 Motor Replacement

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys,

First off, not sure if this should go here, or the Burke forum. I'll try here first.

I think it is time to replace the original motor on my Burke No. 4. Not original to the Burke, but originally came with the Burke to me. The Burke is a 1920's era I believe, and was originally run via a flat belt from above. It has been retrofitted with a 1/2 hp (1725 rpm) motor through a 90 degree speed reducer to a countershaft to the spindle. The original motor is quite old, and runs quite hot, and a bit loud. It originally had brass bushings that I replaced with needle bearings. I have two replacement motors, and I'm not sure which to use.

Number One:
GE (capacitor)
1/2 hp
115 v
1725 rpm
Code M
SF 1.25
Continuous Duty

Number Two
Dayton (split-phase)
1/2 hp
115 v
1725 rpm
Code P
SF 1.0
No Mention of Duty
Type FHT < not sure what this is

Not that it matters, but the Dayton weighs about twice as much as the GE.

What are your thoughts on which would be a better replacement motor?

Thanks a bunch,

Greg

Needle bearings are not appropriate to replace sleeve bearings due to the relative lack of hardness of the motor shafts, the shafts will quickly degrade in surface finish and run roughly. a motor is a motor and is a motor, it does not matter what you replace it with, one with the same speed is OK for the most part except with grinding spindles where balance is a consideration.

Thanks John,

Either way the old motor will be going away. The real question is split-phase versus capacitor start. No real initial load, so what I hear is that either will work fine.

Thanks for the insight,

Greg

PS: Still wrestling with the USPS on our other issue. No updates.

The capacitor motor will have more starting torque, if that matters to your application- probably won't matter for this

Last edited:
The capacitor motor will have more starting torque,
That is what I have read/learned, but given the use (a small mill), I would not envision the need for high torque start-up, as long as the two motor perform equally once the pedal hits the road or the metal hits the steel. ;o)

Thanks,

Greg

I would not recommend split phase; if you start in the higher speeds, there is more load, and a split phase motor might not have enough torque to successfully start.

Back