Burke No. 0

That will be a nice little machine, I was recently given a No.4 hand mill, I'm going to convert it to a little surface grinder this winter if time allows, there's some info on burke mills here.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=132&tab=4

But I don't think the 0 is there, I just recently seen a restored one in a thread someplace if I can find it I'll post the link.
Don, I like your idea of converting it to a small surface grinder. I'd love to see your project once you get going with it. I'm sure others would also. Its a good idea. I think that's the best option for my butchered Model 0.
IMG_2281.JPG

Thank you both, guys.

@ Tim - something about silk purses and sow's ears comes to mind. It would have been hard for you to make that beautiful. Amazing that someone could do that is it not? Presumably they didn't understand the value of what they were hacking at...

@ 9t8z28 - I'd encourage you to think about the possibility of an inverter. I have converted both my drill press and lathe, and they are great (the drill press especially). Just imagine your No.4 with massive torque and variable speed control! Having said that, I don't know what your other horizontall is :). Will look at your postings in aa minute to see if it's featured.

BTW am planning to convert my 0 back to flat belt as I'm building a lineshaft in my shop in France...

Cheers,

gary
You are so right Gary. But I'm guessing it was butchered many years ago when these were probably a dime a dozen. I can just envision a medium sized factory with a 100 or so women sitting in from of Burke 0's that eventually shut down and half of the Burke 0's went to the dump... Or the War effort scrap recycle yard.
In any case... Now that I have an operational Hobby machine shop, I'll definitely patch that hole with some brazing and a steel patch. Then I'll either restore it or convert it to a small bench surface grinder.
By the way... A Line shaft shop. That will be very cool.

Yes indeed. As a wise woman once sang: 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'.

Great that you are going to fix it though!

Yes, the lineshaft shop should be great, thanks. It's not a short-term project though...:)

Back