Burke Motorized With Dayton 2 Hp

I have not been following your wiring but saw a picture of your breaker panel and the two breakers. I can't remember on the General Electric panel that when you are using two half size breakers next to each other I don't think you will get 240 volts just the same 120 twice. Check the voltage between the breakers to see if you have 240 volts or just 0 volts. If you have already verified you do have 240 volts then "Never Mind"
Ray

The direction the motor runs is determined by the relationship between the run and start windings. The diagram on the motor is correct BUT you will not be able to swap T5 & T8 for reversing using the switch you have. The diagram on the motor assumes you keep the run windings hooked up all the time and swap the start windings to reverse the motor. The diagram I gave you does the opposite, it keeps the start windings hooked up all the time and swaps the run windings. It effectively accomplishes the same thing but works with your switch.

You should NOT need any jumpers inside the switch. If you are looking at the picture below, they are not jumpers. The picture just shows which terminals get connected together when the switch is in each position.
DaytonDrunConnections.PNG

And yes please check the voltage. I believe Ray is correct, when I first looked at the picture I didn't notice that they were single pole tandem breakers rather than 2 pole breakers. For a 240V circuit you should be using a 2 pole breaker. A 2 pole breaker mechanically links the two sides so that if either side overloads both sides will get disconnected. It will require 2 full slots just like the 50 amp breaker in your panel.

Last edited:
Checked the pic again and it does look like you have it correct.
Check it anyway.

Ray

Ray,
I got it to run as you said I put those breakers in about 15 years ago and forgot exactly why and what for . I used a breaker on the other side of the panel all I had to do was switch the recepticals. Its only running in one direction the other side of the switch does nothing. I guess one direction is better then none.
Thanks again for your kind help.
Regards
dgehricke

Some of those GE box's are a little strange in the way they are setup.
Glad you got it going.

Ray

Back