Burke Feed Rates

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Closing in on getting my Burke #4 operational. Just making some work holding and t nuts to hold stuff down, then should be ready to go - finally.

Can anyone advise what the factory cutting feed rates are for the machine , based on it being equiped with the original Master gear reduction motor (280 RPM output to the spindle if I recall correctly) and the mechanical table mounted gear box?

I would like to make up a chart showing the various auto feed rates in IPR for each spindle speed. Also, I assume I am looking for IPR here (inches per revolution of the spindle)?? Rather than IPM- yes?

If not available, what formula would I use to compute all this given the pulley diameters?

Thanks much
Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn,
Feed rate for the burke is determined by what material you are cutting tool steel, stainless aluminum, bronze all have different feed rates if you look at this site there are rates for everything.
< http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Charts/ >
Regards
Wally G
dgehricke

Thanks Wally, I was asking about the table's power feed rates. Or maybe it's better to say the table's rates of advance in IPM as set by the ratio of the pulley diameters that drive the power feed mechanism. There seem to be a number of different choices, depending on spindle speed and which pulley the auto feed mechanism belt is set on. Iam hoping to find a chart or table that shows all the various available speeds.

Regards
Glenn

Wally, thanks. Yes, does help. Confirms what several others have said about bi directional table movement. Being new to horizontal mills, my initial thought was maybe there is a preferred direction of milling and I somehow reassembled the drive or motor connections wrong. Now I see see it's more a matter of retraining my brain to work 'horizontally'.

Glenn

Back