Burke #4

that is a Burke index head. There is a matching footstock that you should look for. I found two on ebay and rebuilt them. It takes (some) 3C collets but not all. I have some 3C collets tht go to 9/16 they do not fit. I have some Pot collets, they dont fit either. I have a 4" chuck that I mounted on a back plate for it. I made a small face plate for it. I have an ER-40 collet chuck I made for it.

Normally they come with a 48 notch plate. I picked up some that fit, 16, 20, 25 and I think 32.
I have made some custom ones 50 and 100 notches. All in all its a neat tool I use it often.

I found an assembly on ebay, that uses a worm 40:1 reduction and an extedrnal gear ( off my 9" workshop lathe) that turns it into a dividing head.

No wonder it looks like it was made for that machine, thanks for the info

that is a Burke index head. There is a matching footstock that you should look for. I found two on ebay and rebuilt them. It takes (some) 3C collets but not all. I have some 3C collets tht go to 9/16 they do not fit. I have some Pot collets, they dont fit either. I have a 4" chuck that I mounted on a back plate for it. I made a small face plate for it. I have an ER-40 collet chuck I made for it.

Normally they come with a 48 notch plate. I picked up some that fit, 16, 20, 25 and I think 32.
I have made some custom ones 50 and 100 notches. All in all its a neat tool I use it often.

I found an assembly on ebay, that uses a worm 40:1 reduction and an extedrnal gear ( off my 9" workshop lathe) that turns it into a dividing head.

Jim,
In your photo there is a hex head located on the head pivot point between the worm drive and the index plate plunger handle. Charley's head does not have that. What does it do?

Benny

Had a small issue with the collet & drawbar not working but fixed that issue (bur) now the vice needs some rework.

That looks like a sweet compact machine!!!!
Congratulations!!!

A horizontal and vertical in one!
A great score indeed!!!

Andrew

Back