Burke #4 with vertical head and indexer.

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone,

In general what would be a decent price for a Burke #4 with a vertical head and indexer? I looked at the machine several months ago while purchasing another piece of equipment from the owner and did not take a very close look at everything although it did seem to be in decent shape.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Burke #4 mills are quite old, and come in conditions from like new to scrap metal. Some have been ridden hard and put away rusty. Others have been pampered. Some are missing critical parts, or are damaged. There are lots of options, tooling, and upgrades, good and bad, that come with the #4 mills. You gotta' look at it, run it if possible, and cut with it if possible. Make sure any attachments actually fit and are operational. Offer what it is worth to you and see if you have a deal. There are more out there...

If you can't run it to check it out to your satisfaction, reduce the price you offer by at least half, at the minimum. There are more out there!

I've seen Burke's sell anywhere from $400 to $1500 and more. Seems to be all over the board, partly depending on what region of the country it's in. Low end prices seem to be more common in the NE. High end on the west coast. But that is not consistent either. As Bob said, it all depends on condition. I like mine for the horizontal milling aspect. Don't use it as much as I should!

Glenn

Hi Bob and Glenn,

I appreciate your replies. Well I decided to buy it and hauled it home over the weekend and setup it up in my shed/workshop, which is a work in progress. Maybe next year I will get it wired with a 30 amp panel. I will post some pictures as soon as I can. Ever since I stumbled upon this machine it has been in the back of my head as to when do I “call him up to see if he wants to sell it”. Anyway on the BOYD section of OWWM I noticed a Burke 126A #4 for sale with a Bridgeport M-Head vertical attachment, up in Flemington, NJ. Well that was way too far to drive from Greensboro, NC and I did not want to hassle with shipping or ruckering via OWWM. So I called the local guy up and asked what he wanted and as they say “the rest is history”. To say the least I'm like a kid at Christmas time!

Take care,
Harry

Hi Harry. if I had my 'druthers, a larger shop and need for one I'd be after one of those Burkes. Since I have neither, ( a larger shop or a need) I probably won't be getting one, but I can always wish/dream.

Hi Harry. if I had my 'druthers, a larger shop and need for one I'd be after one of those Burkes. Since I have neither, ( a larger shop or a need) I probably won't be getting one, but I can always wish/dream.
Hi Tom,

Well my shed/shop is only 14' x 10', so to say the least a little crowded with work bench, Logan 10" lathe, 1950 craftsman floor model saw, 6" craftsman joiner, and craftsman 150 drill press, waiting to be put back together after cleaning up and painting. Still need to sell my Rockwell 15 drill press to make room for the craftsman. Not having enough shed/shop time is always an issues along with working full time and landscaping projects that I always seem to dream up.

Last edited:
I have never run a Burke #4, but they are well regarded and are known for for being tough working machines, much better than their size would lead you to expect. I sure like my Burke Millrite vertical mill, the second one I have had... I hope you got lots of tooling and extras with your #4. The M head will be useful, but not much headroom from table to spindle...

Back