Burke # 4 Model B

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
At one of my semi regular stops there has is a Burke #4 model B with a cast pedestal. It has a 3pz motor on it.
View attachment 109135
uploadfromtaptalk1440125434091.jpg

Its been sitting in the exact same spot for 2 years now.

Im considering calling the man who owns it, JUST to ask him some questions. I dont really need another mill! I dont have the room! Plus its a manual feed via rack and pinion.

Its complete. Might make a good second opperation machine.

So what do yall think is a fair price, ONLY if for some crazy reason the owner wants to part with it.
Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I gave $250 for one of the very same. Haven't had time to do anything with it yet though

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe that is a #4. I think the model with the lever operating the table is a #1. It lacks the power table feed that the #4 has.
Still a good machine, just not a #4. Somewhere on here, I have a pic of my #4 and the manual is in the downloads library.

My mistake, that looks like a #1, mine is a #3. Thinking again what I should do with it.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440178229.435133.jpg

Stan,

It's a good machine- keep it! Burke was a pretty sturdy miller for its size.

I keep thinking there ought to be some special op I can set it up for.

Stan,

What about keyway milling?

I will ask around on the Yahoo Burke list- I think I recall someone doing just that.

That's a possibility. I also have thought of tube notcher or pseudo surface grinder.

Stan,

I have the larger version of the model 1. I just did a restore on it (check restoration sub forum). I've seen what has already been said, keyway cutter, tubing notcher, but you can also pick up a cheap import collet set and run end mills and drills for projects. There is a lot you can do, but you gotta get tricky with the setup. Solid machine for sure...thick castings. To see other uses, you can search for the more common horizontal like atlas and see what folks are doing with them. If cheap, I'd buy it...but I'm a tool monger...

Back