Burke #4 Basic Milling Operation Question

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So finished restoring my Burke and have now made some work holding to clamp stuff down to the table. so next step is to Figure out how the Burke accomplishes basic milling operations.

Tonight, first attempt at running the machine. Running the Burke in "Foward" with power feed on, I was a little surprised to see the table moving from right to left, and the arbor/cutter turning counterclockwise. For some reason I expected the arbor would rotate clockwise and the table to feed the work from left to right.

So is this 'normal' direction of feed for the Burke#4?. (Table right to left)

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn,
My Burke runs from right to left because of the auto shut off feature on the table,it can be set to work in either direction.
I also had my motor running in CCW and I went nuts trying to figure out how to change it.
My gear motor was also running at 587 RPMs and no slower,so I changed that also with a different motor and a reversing switch so it will run either way and the pulleys now slide on the machine spindle and is locked in place when I have the pulley size that I want.
You will find that there is no set rules for operating this machine in the Army manual there is only 1 page for operating instructions whis is below;
The operation of the #4 Milling Machine is so simple that no specific instructions are required. For possible assistance, the following is suggested:

Spindle Speeds: To change spindle speeds, raise the motor, place the driving V belt in the proper groove on the

motor pulley and in the corresponding groove on the spindle pulley. The smallest groove on the motor pulley produces the slowest spindle speed.

Power Feed Speeds: There are four alternative longitudinal table feed speeds for each spindle speed. The smallest groove on the power feed drive pulley (attached to the spindle) provides the slowest table feed.

Power Feed: To engage the power feed, depress the power feed pawl (part B-713) while the motor is running. Throwouts (parts B-723) may be set to disengage the power feed automatically where desired. The table feed may also be stopped by turning off the motor or by manually disengaging the pawl. Reversing the motor will reverse the direction of table travel.

Gib Adjustment: Adjustable gibs are provided between the table and saddle (table gib), saddle and knee (saddle gib), and knee and column (knee gib). The saddle and knee gibs are each provided with three adjusting screws, the center one of which is the lock screw.

After the machine has been set up for a particular horizontal milling operation, lock the saddle and knee gibs in place. This will assure additional rigidity. The table gib is provided with four adjusting set

TM 9-3417-215-14&

screws and nuts.
nuts tightened in place to maintain constant torque.

The tension on each of these screws should be approximately the same, with the

Starting Switch: To reverse the direction of rotation of the motor, turn the drum type switch handle to the neutral position, and allow the motor to come to a complete stop. Then turn the switch handle to the reverse position.

I hope this helps
Regards
Wally G
dgehricke

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn,
My Burke runs from right to left because of the auto shut off feature on the table,it can be set to work in either direction.
I also had my motor running in CCW and I went nuts trying to figure out how to change it.
My gear motor was also running at 587 RPMs and no slower,so I changed that also with a different motor and a reversing switch so it will run either way and the pulleys now slide on the machine spindle and is locked in place when I have the pulley size that I want.
You will find that there is no set rules for operating this machine in the Army manual there is only 1 page for operating instructions whis is below;
The operation of the #4 Milling Machine is so simple that no specific instructions are required. For possible assistance, the following is suggested:

Spindle Speeds: To change spindle speeds, raise the motor, place the driving V belt in the proper groove on the

motor pulley and in the corresponding groove on the spindle pulley. The smallest groove on the motor pulley produces the slowest spindle speed.

Power Feed Speeds: There are four alternative longitudinal table feed speeds for each spindle speed. The smallest groove on the power feed drive pulley (attached to the spindle) provides the slowest table feed.

Power Feed: To engage the power feed, depress the power feed pawl (part B-713) while the motor is running. Throwouts (parts B-723) may be set to disengage the power feed automatically where desired. The table feed may also be stopped by turning off the motor or by manually disengaging the pawl. Reversing the motor will reverse the direction of table travel.

Gib Adjustment: Adjustable gibs are provided between the table and saddle (table gib), saddle and knee (saddle gib), and knee and column (knee gib). The saddle and knee gibs are each provided with three adjusting screws, the center one of which is the lock screw.

After the machine has been set up for a particular horizontal milling operation, lock the saddle and knee gibs in place. This will assure additional rigidity. The table gib is provided with four adjusting set

TM 9-3417-215-14&

screws and nuts.
nuts tightened in place to maintain constant torque.

The tension on each of these screws should be approximately the same, with the

Starting Switch: To reverse the direction of rotation of the motor, turn the drum type switch handle to the neutral position, and allow the motor to come to a complete stop. Then turn the switch handle to the reverse position.

I hope this helps
Regards
Wally G
dgehricke

Last edited by a moderator:
Back