Bummed Out Newb On My First Mill Purchase Gone Bad

Small claims court in our area is around $25 for up to $1000 claims, $40 for up to $2500 and $65 for up to $3500. We've used it a number of times, pretty painless process. You file the paperwork at the courthouse and have him served the notice of the court date. You can use a private server (any adult other than you as the complainant) or the court server. We used the court server which cost about $25. You go to court and meet with a magistrate or judge and present your case. If the defendant doesn't show, slam dunk in your favor. Regardless, you get a decision and the judge asks them for their payment plan. If they don't pay at that point you have to file another court paper (think it's called a Writ) to have them reappear. You can also file paperwork for garnishment of wages and seizure of property. In our case the defendant had to give at the time of judgement his bank account numbers (yet another filed paper to seize funds), place of work (for garnishment of wages), and social security number (for seizure of tax returns). Yet another piece of filed paperwork to seize assets. Sorry that you're having to learn the process. That's how it worked in our area 7 or 8 years ago, may be different in yours.

Bruce

I would wait until after he is served then contact the zoning, or have a friend contact them that way it is not you directly harassing him

Thanks everyone for all the info and support!

I'll be heading over to the court house tomorrow so I can start to put an end to this nightmare.

Sorry guys for the lack of updates.

I tried to give him one last chance to give me my money and he claimed to have mailed me a money order (for the second or third different time) and of course nothing showed up. I even told him (for the second time) that I would meet him at a police station to exchange the money in the lobby with cops all around so everything would go smoothly, but he still wouldn't. So at the beginning of the month I filed a small claims suit against him and he was served this past week. Now I'm just waiting for my day in court next month.

I'll bet he doesn't show, you win the case by default, and then you have to start collections process, which will be like more of what you've been doing so far.

Been there. Hope it works out for you.

I'll bet he doesn't show, you win the case by default, and then you have to start collections process, which will be like more of what you've been doing so far.

Been there. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks!
He probably won't.
It should be open and shut case.
I made sure to keep all our conversations via text and email, so as to have a "paper trail" where he admits multiple times that he owes the money to me and where he set up multiple times and places to meet and never followed through, etc. etc.

Could you ask the the value of the mill he kept which is your property and not just the $700? Bring in some other ads showing the price of similar condition J head Bridgeports to show the court. Because with the money transfer and the receipt the property is yours and the value is also yours even (And especially) if it is more than you paid.

So I was just reading through this thread for the first time. It's like someone ripped the last page out of a book. What happened?

So I was just reading through this thread for the first time. It's like someone ripped the last page out of a book. What happened?
Sorry guys,

There hasn't been much to report lately. I've been waiting about a month for my first court date which is this Friday. So, I should have an update after that!

Back