Bull Gear Plunger SPRING

intrepid

Registered
Registered
The bull gear plunger spring on my SB 10K broke. What material/ type of wire should be used as replacement? Where can I source easily source it? Better yet, are NOS springs available? Thanks

It would appear that the part number for that spring is PT367NR1. There is info that this fits at least the 9 & 10K as well as the 10L. There may be more applications but I didn't look any farther.
That's the good news. The bad is that the part is discontinued and no longer available from any vendor based on comments from 2015 I found on another site.
The flip side of that is that it appears to be a simple J shaped wire spring and can be made up easily if you can get some spring wire

Not having had this off of my lathe it would seem that the pin has a couple of grooves in it and the spring just snaps into the groove to hold the pin in place. Is that correct?

If you have a piece of the old spring, you could measure the wire diameter and perhaps buy an over the counter spring and use that as stock. Heat to cherry red and let cool slowly, then cut and shape what you need. Re-heat to cherry red and quench in oil should set the spring hard enough to work. Just spit-ball'n some ideas....

Piano wire in different diameters can be purchased at hobby shops. It is a spring tempered steel and typically comes in 3' lengths.

Back