Building/modifying An Atlas Th42

If you look at the motor mounting plate, it is at it's furthest inboard position. My guess is it was replaced at some time. I have a 1/2hp on my 12x36 and thinking about going to 3/4 or 1hp. that 1/8hp would work well on a tool grinder if you decide to change. For what it's worth, I think you did fine price wise. Mike

Yeah, on second look the paint does not match. As in: not at all. The motor is a dark gray, the lathe is atlas green.

Likely a replacement with whatever was lying around.

I'll run it for a while and keep my eyes open for a replacement at a decent price. Can't be too hard to find a 1/2 HP ac motor kicking around somewhere....

I'm actually a little surprised guys are saying price was OK. From what I've seen on most forums, guys loose their minds if you pay more that 600 bucks for a non quick change gearbox atlas.

Meh, I'm satisfied with what I paid for what I got. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

:)

I have heard of some using a treadmill motor. You would then have speed control. If I was going to put a new motor on mine I think I would at least look into that.

Some people think that everything old should be cheap. Besides which, lathe prices vary widely with location. And you can figure a minimum regardless of where you are of $150 for every significant accessory except for Jacobs chucks, and about $100 up for any of them worth having.

The price you paid is a good one mostly because of (2) things:

A - The Lathe is a Known Brand that has a good amount of readily available accessories and appears to be in good condition.
B - ( and this is probably more important) - You got a TON of good tooling and accessories with it.

In an earlier post I mentioned I picked up my 10F for $50.00 (a serious charity case) - But I'm well over $750 - 800
with:
Missing Stuff:
Back Plate
Countershaft Pulley that was bent
Misc Change Gears (I was was missing about 8 out of the 15 they come with from the factory and still don't have a full set - short 3-4 but have what I need)
Dead Center
Chuck Key
Broken Drive Gear on Cross-Feed (spline was stripped)
Cross Feed Lead Screw Nut (was so sloppy I had nearly .050 in back lash)
QCTP
TOOL Bits
and more my brain hurts thinking about.

So yeah - you got a pretty good deal and getting that chip tray that sits under your lathe is a great piece too. Most don't get that. Making one is on my list.

Lol, thanks. I thought I just got the basic bits that should come with a lathe. Guess I got more than I thought I did.

:)

I have a treadmill that mostly just sits or hold clothes to dry for the missus. I do walk on it. But very infrequently. It's been a topic of discussion to chuck it or sell it for a while.

Now I'm thinking about tearing it apart for the motor. Controller and steel to use on my atlas.

It has this motor:

AFD1635B-F41B-40EF-BCFD-5B9AB6C169B8_zps5lk7igc5.jpg

My concern is the 2.65 peak hp rating and 1.5 hp continuous. I've seen where most guys don't recommend over 3/4 hp. Perhaps it's a function of Torque?

I know torque breaks things more than hp and this motor is pretty small diameter. It can't make as much torque as a 3/4 or 1 hp AC motor can it? Those are giants compared to this dc motor...

This is the controller:

0B8B411F-943D-44B3-AD8F-E28A7625537F_zpsqpvdtgnm.jpg

Looks like the ones I've seen on many of the posts I've read about putting a pot across the three terminals an getting variable speed.

And this is the wiring diagram:

DB429D58-1868-4628-8E54-7F76AC7BB9D9_zpsacpefw54.jpg

Of particular interest is the reed kill switch. Seems to me that would make a great deadman switch. Get Ito trouble and yank the cord. Just a thought...dunno if I would follow through. Cord might be as much a hazard as anything else. Needs more thought...

Last edited:
Back