Building a Pulse EDM machine

I removed all the PVC plumbing and replaced it with copper pipe. The PVC was too bulky and I didn't like the way it fit. The copper is a much better fit and I like it better. (You have this when you design by the seat of your pants)
flushing3.JPG

I have been working on the plumbing schematic for my machine. I want to keep it as simple as possible, but still have all the features I want. The storage tank and filter will be under the bench the machine will sit on. The containers for the felt bag filters are insanely expensive, so I devised an inexpensive design. My filter will be made from a 2 foot length of 6" diameter PVC pipe. I have all the pieces on order and the cost will be about $50 instead of $400.
machine plumbing schematic.jpg
I found a Little Giant magnetic drive pump brand new on eBay for less than half the price they sell for. It will pump the fluid. There are a lot of parts on order , coming next week.

Mark
Does it require all that filtering, I understand the flush must be clean but that clean? I wish you mentioned the second filter because I have some of the filter from the processor that are brand new. I put them up thinking I would use them some time, wrong. Too many pipe dreams.
Looks real nice and can not wait to see it working.
Nelson

Mark
Does it require all that filtering, I understand the flush must be clean but that clean? I wish you mentioned the second filter because I have some of the filter from the processor that are brand new. I put them up thinking I would use them some time, wrong. Too many pipe dreams.
Looks real nice and can not wait to see it working.
Nelson

Actually yes. Mr. Fleming said that good filtration will make a bad edm machine look good. Bad filtration will make a good edm machine look bad. I remember how dirty the oil gets real fast. It requires really good flushing at the cut and really good filtration to get a good burn. You can not over do the filtration. I will be using a 5 1/2" diameter X 21" long felt filter bag rated at 20 microns to filter the oil and the spin on filter is only filtering the flushing. These bag filter housings are insanely priced from $400 to $1000 in the size I desire. Sooooo ..... I will build mine. I have everything to build the housing. I am looking for perforated steel or aluminum sheet metal to make the filter basket that holds the filter bag in the housing. Depending on bag life, I may go to 10 micron filter.

The home depot filter is not big enough. I would be changing filters constantly. Also those elements are not the best for the oil.

Mark I have one question, why are you suing kerosese for you fluid rather than RedLine. Most of the shops I know of use this and RO water for the fluid and it yield a 48-55% tool life. Also though I would add that I made a filter housing from 6" PVC pipe 4 foot long, glued the threaded fittings on and a 6" threaded cap for changing the filter bags, got the pipe for free when a water line was being installed.

Mark I have one question, why are you suing kerosese for you fluid rather than RedLine. Most of the shops I know of use this and RO water for the fluid and it yield a 48-55% tool life. Also though I would add that I made a filter housing from 6" PVC pipe 4 foot long, glued the threaded fittings on and a 6" threaded cap for changing the filter bags, got the pipe for free when a water line was being installed.

I don't plan on using kerosene. I plan on using either SINKSYN or EDM 244 edm fluid. The only drawback is the high cost of the fluid , ( almost $20 per gallon), and I will have to save up a while to buy it. ( this project put a BIG dent in my budget, so it will take some time to finish it).

I have been researching the use of water and it is not a good choice unless using deionized water (and there goes the cost again), also everyone I spoke with about water said it is not near as good as the EDM oil in relation to burn stability and burn quality. I feel, there ain't much point in doing something, unless you do it right.

Semi-related but I thought you might like to see it.
One of my internet friends cast a copper EDM electrode for a specific shape:

IMG_20161209_114744_1.jpg

IMG_20161105_140017_1.jpg

Not sure if this will work but its an interesting idea. Can such a large contact area be effective?

Robert

Semi-related but I thought you might like to see it.
One of my internet friends cast a copper EDM electrode for a specific shape:

IMG_20161209_114744_1.jpg

IMG_20161105_140017_1.jpg

Not sure if this will work but its an interesting idea. Can such a large contact area be effective?

Robert
You can do large items but they take a big machine and a LOT of hours cutting. Some large cuts for car mold parts can take days of continuous cutting.

Back