Building a High Speed Punch Press

A bit more progress on the press.

In the last progress post I completed the cam except for the keyway and the set screws.

My wood splitter/keyway press. I didn’t have a 6mm broach, so I used a 3/16 and will step the key. I had to key from both sides because the broach guide is not long enough to do it in one shot.

IMG_0649.jpg

Using the same mandrel that I made for doing the lathe work, I put it in the mill and cut a 3/16 keyway in it. That way I can clock the cam to drill & tap the setscrew holes over the key. The mandrel end is supported by my patented clamp kit screw jack.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Stepping the key. I needed a about 0.060 more height, so a 1/16 drill bit was a perfect solution

IMG_0655.jpg

Installed on the motor, looks like everything lines up.

IMG_0658.jpg

Drilling the ram for a ¾-16 bolt.

IMG_0660.jpg

The height adjusting bolt installed.

IMG_0661.jpg

I had to drill & tap the motor shaft ¼-20 to install the limit switch cam. The motor was too tall to sit on the table to drill the shaft, so……. A little creative setup. I just hung the motor off the back of the table clamped to an angle plate. I had to pull the way cover back to use the ways to align the motor base. I don’t know what the motor shaft is made of. It isn’t hard, but it worked hardened if you looked at it wrong, much like machining D-2. I couldn’t get through it with a cobalt drill so I wound up using a carbide drill bit to get through it, turning at about 200 RPM. It tapped just fine. Very strange material, might be a stainless alloy. I should note here that I normally would not allow a rag anywhere around spinning tools, but in this case I needed to prevent chips from falling into the motor bearing, and to protect the motor shaft from the vice grips.

IMG_0007.jpg

The LS cam installed. This activates the Stop-On-Top function.

IMG_0020.jpg

The electronics. On the left is the stepper drive. This one is kind of interesting in that is has it’s own built in power supply. It takes 115/230 volts AC in. On the right is the 12 VDC power supply for the stepper variable speed module (top right). The stepper drive is mounted with screws; the other two devices are RTV silicone glued in.

IMG_0017.jpg

The operator panel. On left is the speed pot, For/Rev switch in case of a hard jam, E-Stop, and Run button. The speed pot is calibrated so that 50 = 5 strokes/ sec. I kinda messed up and ordered the wrong box, not deep enough so I should have the new one in a day or so.

IMG_0022.jpg

Back