Building a gantry crane for your shop...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys,

Here is something I can really use- a gantry crane to lifts things up and move them around in my shop.

Attachments

• Gantry.gif
    Gantry.gif
    424.7 KB · Views: 8
  • gantry_crane_2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at these gantry cranes as well.

the link that is provided seems to be empty of all meaning at the end but would not mind seeing it.

Walter

The Wallace cranes don't go up and down, and, on all but the economy model, the outriggers are much further apart as Jon said.

I think you guys are right about them being way too topheavy for comfort. I think the design should have two legs on each side which meet at the top, rather than one vertical which splits off into two towards the bottom. After they meet at the top, then I would incorporate the lifting mechanism- this way the points of balance are spread apart.

Nelson

Actually, Wallace Cranes have models that are adustable both up and down, how wide the legs are apart and for how wide the tread is. I have spent hours going through their site looking at what features to incorporate if I ever get a roundtuit and build one.

Walter

starlight_tools link=topic=1684.msg10213#msg10213 date=1302722220 said:
Actually, Wallace Cranes have models that are adustable both up and down, how wide the legs are apart and for how wide the tread is. I have spent hours going through their site looking at what features to incorporate if I ever get a roundtuit and build one.

Walter

If I learn to weld and build one, the legs will be as wide as possible to avoid tipping. For one thing, my shop ceiling is less than 8 feet high, so I don't need the extra height, for another, those things remind me of oversize clothing racks in terms of being topheavy.

I did not see a price list but I imagine the Wallace ones cost at least $1000 for the cheapest ones. They can be made a lot cheaper.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm aiming for between 3 and 5 ton capacity.

20 to 25 foot wide

15 to 20 foot high

Have to be able to lift items like sailboats up.

I know now we are talking about big bucks.

Walter

Walter,

That's a bigun. I would only need mine for assembly of heavy subassemblies, and lifting/moving machines onto casters and such.

Nelson

Nelson

Go big or go home! I know not always the best way to look at it.

I am looking at different sizes and may try to build one in this size range.

I spent the morning at the Trail Hospital this morning. GF had to have a swalllow test done in radiology. (not sure if they were trying to find the mosquitos or the feathers, LOL) but while there I was looking at the neat set ups they have for moving the x-ray heads around. I think that would be ideal in a small shop. They support a lot of weight and can travel almost the full area of the shop. A couple of aluminium extrusions bolted to the ceiling, and a cross frame on bearings.

Humm! maybe! do you think the hospital would notice any of them missing? Kidding of course.

Walter

Anything medical in the way of equipment is very expensive. The way those huge machines are made to move is amazing just to watch.

I had a CT scan about a year ago, and the tech moved this huge donut shaped machine like it was nothing. I want those casters on my Van Norman mill.

Best,

Nelson

Back