Building a bizarre bike from scratch

pebbleworm

Active User
Registered
A fellow in New Zealand has been building a replica of a ca. 1888 Geared Facile bicycle- with pretty much a Myford and a box of files. This is a bike from a period where there was an insane amount of experimentation going on, and this was not a design that rose to the top. Still penny-farthing looking, but with the front wheel driven by friction clutches and geared up to a larger size. He has a blog at:
http://geared-facile.blogspot.com/
Which is profusely illustrated and realy shows how much you can get done in a small shop and stretch your equipment to the limits. It is well worth checking out. I'm very impressed!

Wow, that IS an interesting site. He does some amazing work. Thanks for sharing.

Bob has finished the bike and has some video of it being ridden! As I said before, a spectacular achievement in a home shop. Just go to the blog to see the latest. What I really appreciate are his excellent set-up pictures, discussion of materials and getting the most out of a limited set of equipment. He didn't even have a mill until more than half way through the project. I am VERY impressed.

Back