Buffalo Drill Press

dave enrico

Registered
Registered
hello everyone
i have a buffalo drill press in storage that im getting ready to clean up,i have a 1. 1/5 horse tread mill motor i want to use,i didnt get any controls with the motor just the motor,my question is can i use a light dimming type wall switch to control the speed of the motor its single phase 110,excuse my ignorance when it comes to electrical usually more than changing a fuse bulb or wall switch and im lost, thanks everyone dave

Hi Dave,
Well it's a bit more involved than just connecting a switch. You will need a PWM(?) motor controller board to control the motor with. Too bad you didn't get the treadmill controls because you can often make them work. A common controller to use would be what is known as an MC-60 controller. In addition to the controller you will need a potentiometer, which is where you will dial in your speed. I did this conversion on my lathe, and if you like I can find my notes to share with you. (One lesson learned the hard way; do NOT apply a signal voltage to your controller cuz you will fry it! In other words do your research first, don't just do the first thing suggested to you to do. HA)
Wes

thanks for the info maybe i should just stick with the original motor and leave well enough alone, dave

Back