BS-0 Dividing Heads?

I know this thread is 3 years old, but I found a YouTube video that goes into great detail about these:
There are three parts, and the firsy

PS: This is my first post, so go easy on me if I'm posting something I shouldn't . I have no affiliation with the

Welcome aboard! Nice to see what the insides of one of those dividing heads looks like. I have wondered if they could be cleaned up and turned into a decent piece to have around. I think you will have a hard time getting in trouble here by the way, all in all a very friendly place.

Edit: I hit "Post" before I was finished writing...

I know this thread is 3 years old, but I found a YouTube video that goes into great detail about these:
There are three parts:
The first answered all my questions, including how to adjust out the backlash in the worm screw, and covers disassembly of the entire unit. He also reveals that, while the unit seems very well made for the most part, there were a couple of minor problems; a mangled shaft key, and lots of loose grit all over the inside of the unit. (These are consistent with my own experiences with several low cost import machine tools. In my opinion, taking the time to fix them is well worth the savings. I also enjoy the level of understanding gained from the experience, especially with complex units like this.)
!!! CAUTION! The audio is pretty good 99% of the time - except when he uses a mallet or whacks something on the table: Then the wooden table amplifies the sound of the impact so much that it nearly blew my eardrums out wearing earbuds!
The 2nd part is informative early on, but turns into a bit of a rabbit trail; mostly watching him mill down the mounting studs to fit his mill.

Part three mostly covers reassembly details.

I also found a downloadable manual for the Grizzly version of the unit. It's infinitely better than the horribly mangled - 'Chinglish' translation that came with mine. I can't seem to post a direct link, but a search for "grizzly manual g1053_m.pdf" should find it.

PS: This is my first post, so go easy on me if I'm posting something I shouldn't. I have no affiliation with the YouTuber who published the videos, or with Grizzly; just thought these might be as useful to others as they were for me.

Happy machining,
Doug

Last edited:
Back