BS-0 Dividing Heads?

patmat2350

Registered
Registered
So it might be a bit big for use on my mini mill, but I'm interested in the 5" dividing head labeled "BS-0"... available from multiple sources for a range of reasonable prices, considering what's there.

s-l200.jpg

First, does "BS-0" mean something?

Next, any pros/cons with this model?

Then, I see plenty on eBay from Asian importers, in the $300 range WITH 3-jaw chuck... example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BS-0-5-Inde...Chuck-Tailstock-CNC-Milling-New-/112262120558
while Grizzly has it for about $400 w/o chuck. So, do we know if the eBay units are one and the same?

Finally, how does that work on eBay? There seems to be a score of these Asian import sellers, all hawking everything from kitchen sinks to tee shirts and hair curlers to these dividing heads... and all have a smattering of negative reviews... which tells me I better be happy with what I get, 'cause there ain't likely to be no customer service!

Oops, just saw some other threads on the "BS-0"... I'll read through those...

Most of those ebay sellers don't know much about what they are selling. Pick one that has the highest possible feedback rating- better than 99 % if possible.
Your credit card company will usually help you out if there is a serious problem.
I believe the BS refers to Brown and Sharpe but I could be wrong. So it's a copy of a Brown and Sharpe design, I think.
Mark S.

BS0 means that the basic design was copied form a Brown & Sharpe #0 dividing head; they, of course made other (larger) sizes to match up with the larger sizes of milling machines, for instance a #2 head would be used on a #2 size milling machine.

Thanks all.

Looking through the other threads, I don't see much info on these import copies of the B&S #0... so if you do have any experience, I'd love to hear! I don't want to repeat my own experience with the last low-buck rotary table I bought, ugh...

And looking at the ebay ads, it seems that a fair number have been sold... so they must be out there in the wild now.

I bought one of these BS-0 units from an eBay seller a while back. As far as the unit goes, it all depends on what you plan on using it for. It works OK for my use. Chucked items run out a few thousandths (which is not uncommon for a 3 jaw chuck), but it functions as designed. I got a center and dog with mine too for setting up between centers. They are hard to beat for the price. I was holding out for a long time waiting to see if I could find a used, more quality unit, in my area for a reasonable price, but it didn't happen, so I bought one of these. Not sorry I did. I got two additional division plates with mine as well, so I can get as many divisions that I'll ever need. I usually just use the pin stop for my uses... There is a hole for every 10 degrees and it's quick and easy to cut a square, hex, or whatever that is in 10 degree increments. I wouldn't hesitate cutting a gear on mine. The design is very basic and not too much that can go wrong.

As far as buying from eBay, you have both eBay and PayPal to protect you if you run into trouble. I would always suggest trying to work things out with the seller first in case of a problem... Most will try to work things out. But if not, you can contact eBay first, then PayPal for assistance to remedy your situation. I only had to go through this process one time and I got my money back.

Ted

The ebay unit is probably fine warranty-wise, IF it arrives DOA or goes south in a month or two. But if it waits for 18 months, I'm not sure. Grizzly on the other hand, will still be there.

Just something to think about...

I went through the same drill looking for a DH last year. I didn't really explore the import no-name brands as I didn't want to gamble with accuracy and quality of build. I did really want a nice, old school, original, B&S or one of the other superb, old school brands to go with my Van Norman horizontal mill. Finally after a year of looking, I went up to Grizzly in Bellingham and bought a new B &S -o clone. Glad I did.

First, they will take it back if it isnt accurate. No questions. Secondly, it's exactly like the old 75 YO used units, except it's brand new. Third, and most Importantly, I never saw a used DH that had all the parts with it on eBay. Most are missing a tailstock AND one or more, or all three plates. What good is a DH without the dividing plates to set up degrees of arc?? Without these things It's nothing more than a nice looking paper weight. These tool resellers must strip the plates off and sell separately to double their revenue. Same with the tailstock.

So my Grizzly purchase came with all the components. it's as good as I will ever need. And the price was less than sourcing all the extra components the tool resellers won't sell you in a package.

Glenn

I searched for about three years to find one I could afford but its not a b.s. but it's smaller Gulledge with three jaw 4" Chuck. Admittedly I paid a$100 for it with a reversible plate , found a tailstock for another $35.00 . Ill need to make a drive center and block to use it that way. I'd still like a bigger model if it fell in my lap but ill be able to cut the gears I need with mine. If you keep plugging you'll find what you want. My reasons I wait is I have to if I could afford to buy new I would. I'm not cheap just poor. There's a difference I guess.

Back