Browser Based Apps/programs? Spokes?

RVJimD

Active User
Registered
I am on to my next little project and started searching for tips on how to mill spokes on a small wheel or pulley. My question is are there any good web/browser based applications for some of the common tasks in the shop?

I did download the engineer app, that will be useful but won't offer any help with the spoked pulley project.

What I am about to try is milling a five spoke wheel. I know my DRO will do a bolt circle, but add in the rotary table and things get interesting really quick.

Jim

I think you are pretty much into 2d CAD territory at this point. The only web app that may even come close is Tinker but that requires a subscription it seems.

Spokes.jpg My suggestion would be for you to calculate the angles and centers of the fillets, drill and bore the fillets and then to plan how to mill the surfaces in between. 2D Cad would help with the calculations.

Gene

Jim,

This is actually fairly simple with a rotary table. The angles between spokes are 72 degrees. Zero your DRO x and y at the center of the RT. You will only need locate the coordinates of one set the crosses as indicate in Gene's drawing. The spokes will be made by movement in one axis only. If you choose the y axis, find the coordinates for the crosses on either side of the vertical spoke. The x values will be the same for all four except of sign. The two sets of y values will be the same y within a pair. Offset the x coordinate by the appropriate amount (half the thickness of the spoke plus tool diameter). Begin your cut at the first y coordinate and move to the second. Do not touch the x coordinate at this time. When that side is finished, move to the other side of the spoke and repeat to complete the spoke. To machine the remaining spokes, rotate the table 72, 144, 216, 288 degrees and repeat the process. The x and y moves are the same for each.

To machine the flange, leave the x and y coordinate as is. If you finished on the outside, you can machine the inside of the flange. You will be using the rotary table to do the machining. And you are at the start point. You can rotate the table until you are almost intersecting the machined slot. You now have several options. 1. You can eyeball the final movement to just come short of kissing the second spoke. 2. You can move the x coordinate to the opposite side of the spoke (the minus value) and machine in the opposite direction. 3. You can calculate what the endpoint angle would be and rotate to angle. Option 1 is the easiest. Use Option 2 for precision.

If you need assistance with determining the coordinate values, I can set this up fairly easily in CAD. I would just need your dimensions (hub diameter spoke width, flange inner diameter, flange outer diameter).

Bob

Jim here is a model and drawing for what I think you are doing. Dimensions can easily be changed to suit your requirements.

Bob
Five Spoke Wheel.JPG 5 Spoke Wheel.JPG

If you are looking for some free CAD software, I believe that DraftSight is still free. It is an AutoCad emulator, more or less, and a fairly complete 2D CAD package. You can download it from the SolidWorks website. It has a bit of a learning curve. I have not personally used it a lot because I have had SolidWorks for the past ten years but occasionally a vendor would send AutoCad drawings to us and we had to do some manipulation in DraftSight.

Bob, you are AMAZINGLY fast at producing those CAD drawings - I'm envious !!! I definitely agree with the use of the rotary table - to those with little experience of this tool, it may look difficult. But making a CAD drawing like the above will provide the required insight.

Jim, you may want to check out sourceforge.net - there are literally thousands of freeware applications there. These are created by software engineers on their own time and many of the applications are supported by the same writers.

Obviously some are better than others but LibreCAD is a very good 2D program. It now has tutorials (I just found that out about two weeks ago) but if you have any AutoCAD experience, the transition is painless. The application is supported and has a couple of good user forums.

If any of sourceforge's work is of interest, be sure and download directly from their site, NOT from one of the file download services. They tend to add toolbars and other "features" that you may not particularly desire :)

Back