Browning A5 Frozen Carrier Pivot Screw

jaxn

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys I working on a customers early Browning A5. I've come to a stop removing one of the carrier pivot
screws its frozen and I mean FROZEN! I've exhausted my bag of tricks; kroil, some heat, tapping while applying torque..no movement of any kind. I'm sure that the screw has never been removed and in fact the gun has most likely never been disassembled. Any ideas?

Can you get in a drill press vise put a bit in the chuck put pressure on it and turn the chuck with the chuck key. The way the screw is made it looks like you could drill the stud off and you could get to the threads. Numrich has them for 8.00 plus each . I don't know if they screw into a blind hole. Hope I have helped.

Thanks David I'm ashamed I didn't think of that. Drilling it out was my last resort I had considered the replacement pivots, I need to find out if they are the imperial thread or the later metric one from Japan if I have to go that way. This is an early 50's gun made at FN so its imperial 5/16-40 I think. I'll let you know how it turns out.

With the use of the correct sized bit , you could try the hammer impact tool ? I've had great success using them . Or another old time way heat your screw driver bit to cherry red slide it in the screw slot hold for a short time after the bit starts to return to normal color , turn it out ,it works but don't rush or your bit will twist like butter. That old browning Probelly put more meat in the freezer than any other.

Put the receiver/carrier in the freezer overnight. Soak in Kroil for several days. Heat the screw with a soldering iron. Use a screw extractor (never works for me), or drill it out and tap for a replacement.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back