BROWN & SHARPE UNIVERSAL DIVIDING HEAD

So, this popped up today in a search: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123752637591 Box is correct, gears are all there, as well as the indexing plates & idler gear on arm.

I'll not forget to come along & continue making parts for mine!

When we last left off this series, it was the tapered center shaft that we were focusing on. Given a Tom Lipton idea as presented by Stefan Gotteswinter, my path forward is made easy - once another tool to mount the necessary tool holder is made. So, seeing there were not any other projects needing my attention, I set my sights on the next part needed.

B&S no2 Old Style (L) New Style (R). The bolts for the rear are not the same. Or perhaps at some point of overlap in developmental changes they were. Early units used 5/8 - 12 bolts & used a 1" wrench. Later units, as per John York's notes & sketches used 5/8 - 11 bolts with a 15/16 head. Hope to have the drawing finalized in a few days!

108 BOLT & WASHER 20201228.jpg

Brown & Sharpe had their own thread standards; older machines had many threads different than today's standards, one of the common ones was 1/2-14 tpi. No criticism, they made standards before there were standards. One strange thing was they commonly built machines with 55 degree dovetails, a good example being my #2 universal mill built in 1943 with lever gear changes and no rapids,, A friend has an updated model built in the same year with crank gear shifting and rapid travel, and it has 60 degree dovetails

Bolt drawing.

Attachments

• 108 BOLT & WASHER 10.jpg
    108 BOLT & WASHER 10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
MILO2,

They are sitting exactly as they were still to this day. I've learned a lot along the way & gathered a lot of tools & equipment in the process. But there is still much left to do. I have faith that in time this & more will finally start coming together. Who knows, maybe my back will even allow something faster than a snail's pace while I'm praying!!

Back