Brown & Sharpe #2 Vertical Milling Lt.

Here's a better picture from a parts manual I bought. Better pictures later.

Dwayne

Brown & Sharpe #2 Vertical Mill Lt type.jpg

Look for Brown & Sharpe's "Treatise on Milling and Machines", it is specific to their machines and is exhaustive and shows all the accessories for their machines. Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. also did a much thicker book that has a lot of info on their similar attachments and their uses.

Hi Dwayne,
Differences in serial numbers by years across different models of mills is to be expected. Generally, more quantity of smaller mills like the #2 might be expected to be sold per annum compared to the larger #3. At least that sounds reasonable to me.

Follow Ken's (4gsr) good advice for looking for manuals ( and maybe parts) from Bourn & Koch.

I have an old original B & S Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines in well used condition, but no mill to go with it, if you are interested in it. It is copyright 1939, printed in 1948. Contact me if you are interested in it. If you hover your cursor above my ugly picture on the left, a pop up window will open where you can start a "conversation." Contact me there.

It looks like the OP has not been around since 03-June-2017, I wonder if his mill is running?

Anyhow, this thread may still be useful for others searching for similar info.
Here's a link to the equivalent Cincinnati book I uploaded some time ago:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/res...reatise-on-milling-and-milling-machines.2771/

-brino

EDIT: and there are also several different Brown and Sharpe books here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/brown-sharpe-milling-machines.524/

The OP probably has not been home in six months. He's right in the middle of the new oil boom of west Texas.

Since my post in 2016, I got ahold of a copy of the parts manual that covers most of the B & S mills built from about 1900 to 1920. It's missing a few pages, but it was a copy given to me that went to the No. 3 mill I had many years ago. I used to have a real copy that was sent to me from Brown & Sharpe in around 1974. It's long gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back