Brown and sharpe collet

Franklussier

Registered
Registered
HI guys

Can someone tell me what type of collet for this machine, I recently purchased this Brown & Sharp no.2 vertical standard type milling machine, I have no info for this machine the only thing I know, the motor is 550v 3ph 7 1/2hp, I need to change the motor I only have 1ph in my shop.

Thanks
Frank
tmp_29896-20170310_1512291974869309.jpg

Hi Frank!

Welcome to the group!
You've joined the friendliest machining site on the web.
The members here vary from noob to expert, but the one thing they have in common is a willingness to share.

I flipped thru the manual pointed to above, but did not see the spindle taper listed.....it should be there, I must have missed it.
There are also some more manuals here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/brown-sharpe-milling-machines.524/
but I didn't go thru them to see which if any apply.

That is a very stout machine you have, congratulations.
Where did you get it? Any idea the age of it?
And wow what diameter is that shell mill in the arbour?

If your looking for tooling, etc. (and don't mind a bit of a drive) you might check out Cardon tools just East of Perth just off highway 7.
They buy and sell all kinds of stuff, it's my favourite tool shop.

If it turns out to be a B&S taper and you can't find any, let me know. I bought a bunch of B&S #11 stub arbors at Cardon when I saw them. I could likely spare a couple if you need them.

-brino

HI Brino

Thanks for the link, It's rely appreciated.
I got the mill on Facebook add, this guy bot a bankruptcy and needed the machine gone asap, I got the mill plus a 18" rotary table for $400 and it was in working condition, I could pass this offer nobody wanted the machine because it's 5000 lbs, I did know how to bring it home, I called a local towing company and they charge me $160, for me it was a good price.
I new I add to do something with the motor because 3ph does not pas on my road, I talk to the electrician at work and told me to change the motor, he did many conversations and many people add problems with pas converter.

I Don't know the age of the machine I can't find the serial number on it.

Frank

Frank,

You got a great deal!

Changing the motor maybe the cheapest and easiest. The machine is capable of the original 7-1/2 HP, but you might be able to find a 2-3 HP 220V single phase that would be enough for a home shop.......depending on your work, the material and the depth of cut you need.

I imagine a phase converter(static or rotary) or a VFD (variable frequency drive) big enough to run a 7.5 HP motor could be costly.

Actually, I believe Cardon had a new VFD in there last time I was in, but I have no idea the price. You might call them to see if it could run a 7.5HP motor, if they don't know ask for the manufacturer and model number and do an online search for a manual. I have never gone the phase converter or VFD route, but the folks here could give some guidance.

-brino

Ya I know it was a good deal, I tink I will change the motor, I know the motor is around $900 but I mite get a deal on a moor.

Frank

Ya I know it was a good deal, I tink I will change the motor, I know the motor is around $900 but I mite get a deal on a moor.

Fran
Hi , welcome to the site, nice mill , she looks in great condition. Good luck with her.
Thanks
Cant wait to user her

I know on B & S horizontal mills, the S/N is located on the face of the column just above the spindle. That being a vertical mill, the s/n may be located on the face of the column, either on the right or left at the top. Older mills will be either a three digit or four digit number. Newer one's, I want to say, after around 1935, are a xxx-xxx-xxxx serial number, and is usually found on the main casting of the machine on the side or back of the machine.

EDIT: Your machine looks new enough in the picture and the looks of the spindle, that it may have a NMTB No. 50 taper in the spindle.

Ken

Back