Brown and Sharpe #10 to ER-40 Adapter Project

Keep us posted.

Today I spent several hours with a file and some Dykem and a diamond hone to fine tune the BS10.
After that is done, it's on to see what I can do to the ER-40 end.

Keep us posted.

Today, I made a set-up to grind the inside of the ER-40 Collet holder in the mill that it will run in.
That pretty much ensures accuracy I would think. The jig was an electric powered motor
set up with ways running at the required 8 degrees. Concentricity is pretty good now measuring
a thousandth or so. I also machined off the outside of the holder on the mill so if I need to put it in
the lathe again it will be fairly accurate. Also I ran the grinder over the outside surface along with some
emery cloth for a nice surface. So far I am pretty happy with the results. I made an 8 Degree angle plate with
my rotary table so that I could accurately mount the grinding wheel mounted on ways.
Here are several photos of the set-up if anyone else is contemplating making an ER-40 or other holder.
It was a lot of work to make the jig but it will come in handy for other projects so it wasn't time wasted.
Here are several photos of the jig and one of the inside of the ground ER-40 collet holder.
With this jig, I will be able to grind on any inside or outside surface with good accuracy at various angles so
I can see there will be other uses for this tool.

View media item 96582View media item 96583View media item 96584

Last edited:
If I were to do this again, I would make the holder in one piece and do the finish machining chucked
up in the mill. That way you would pretty much be guaranteed concentricity. The concept here is to
use the mill for the final machining and operate it as though it were a lathe. As it stands, it measures
about .001 inch variation at the cutter. I don't really know how critical this is other than if you were
cutting a half inch groove, it might be wide by several thousandths. I may do one more light pass with the
jig or possibly do some light finishing work in the collet head. Another thought would be to rotate an 8 degree plug
in the collet head with some diamond dust if I get real serious. As it is, I think it will work out just fine
so for the time being am considering it finished. The acid test will be running the mill doing a bit of machine
work and seeing how it goes.

Back