Bronze powder Epoxy slurry

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with adding bronze to JB-Weld or similar and applied it to the worn
surfaces of a saddle or possibly some other worn area.
One would have to really get the surfaces clean with solvents and rough it up I suppose so it would stay in place. Then scrape it to fit.

I would first attempt scraping some of the dried mix on some cleaned up, old and oily scrap iron, to see how it scrapes, how it spots in, and if it flakes off where it tapers into the bare ways. "A good test is better than 1000 'expert' opinions." You would also learn how best to install it and rough it in while practicing on a test piece.

Edit: Don't ruin your Monarch or Springfield doing an experiment...

Might be interesting to try. Do you think JB weld gets hard enough to work?

I just made some filled JB weld with some steel filings. It's pretty darn hard. Have to cure it with heat (light bulb) to get best results.
Mark S.

I'd have more confidence in a Loctite product for this approach. The JB weld jobs I have done were not for moving parts.

I'm having second thoughts on using JB-Weld as a basis for a moving surface. I see it contains some iron dust according
to the MSDS sheets. A clear epoxy would be better since it would not have unwanted abrasives. Another possibility might
be to use zinc powder as it has a very low coefficient of friction in oil. I even have some of that in a jar. You are right Bob to
do the experimenting on a test piece.

Why not use Rulon, Moglice, or some other material designed for the job?

Why not use Rulon, Moglice, or some other material designed for the job?

Well, that has crossed my mind too. As an experiment, it would be fun to try and see how well it works. If no one ever tries this,
we won't know will we? I was looking at Turcite but it gets expensive to buy all the stuff you need for that process.

Well, that has crossed my mind too. As an experiment, it would be fun to try and see how well it works. If no one ever tries this,
we won't know will we? I was looking at Turcite but it gets expensive to buy all the stuff you need for that process.
Indeed, the process is expensive, and the materials cannot be all that special...

Do a Google search for Loctite Fixmaster Metal Rebuilding. Looks like putties and pourable liquid epoxies.

Back