Broaching on EMCO Compact 8 lathe

compact8

Registered
Registered
I am thinking about trying it out and the only thing I worry about is whether any harm will be done to the lathe. The cross slide is designed to withstand forces pushing it downward but when broaching is done, the reaction of the cutting force will tilt the side of the slide closer to the chuck upward. On the back side of the cross side, it's just a piece of plastic ( circled in red below ) that keeps it from being lifted up. Can anyone share your thoughts ?

1636976703776.png

Last edited:
I have done broaching (or what is also known as "shaping") on a far less substantial lathe.
Like all machining processes, the forces are often determined by the depth of cut.
If you feel there is too much movement, reduce your cut. This was done on a Little Machine Shop
7 by 16 (Sieg) lathe. I needed a spindle spacer of a different than factory thickness, for a spindle bearing
replacement. I made two different thicknesses to have options.

Keep stick-out to a minimum. Use a stiff tool. Try to do your tool setup as far back (as close to the operator) as possible.
Remember it acts as a lever to multiply torque forces. The shorter the lever, the lower the twisting and lifting forces.

Attachments

• 4 Shaping 4mm keyway in spindle spacer.jpg
    4 Shaping 4mm keyway in spindle spacer.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 5 Two finished key spindle spacers for 7 by 16 lathe.jpg
    5 Two finished key spindle spacers for 7 by 16 lathe.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back